Thompson's Beach, Caviar

Oct 25, 2006
All

Today i went to two places that i have never been to before, the first place was Thompson's Beach, i left my house at 6 in the morning and 62.1 miles later i arrived at the observation deck on Thompson's Beach Road. I was to meet up with Al at 8 and as i was early i put on my knee highs for the marsh muck slog out to Thompson's. It was high tide when i arrived.

Al arrived a short time later then off we went. The first pic shows a spot where Al use to crab 12 years ago when the road was still open, he related to me that at one time due to high tide that he was stranded out here for a short time.
IMG_1066.jpg

Proceeding further down the road we then came to a section of the road that still had asphalt on it.
IMG_1067.jpg

The worst parts of the road are the beginning just past the closed gate and also about 200 yards before you reach the beach.

Arriving at the beach front .7 miles later we then went down the beach and saw this bulkhead and pilings which front a former residence.
IMG_1068.jpg

At the former residence site here is Al checking out the fireplace.
IMG_1069.jpg

In the former residence site we found this protruding out of the rubble.
IMG_1070.jpg

We then found this inscribed concrete amongst the rubble, could it have been the former owners ?, the first name is a mystery, starting with a G, it could have been Gus, Gustav, George, Glenn, we will never know.:D
IMG_1071.jpg

Next to the inscribed concrete we found another remnant with numbers on it, most likely dates when the place was erected.
IMG_1072.jpg

Going further down the beach we then came a massive bulkhead with pilings all over the place.
IMG_1073.jpg

Going further we then came upon this PVC sticking out of the ground.
IMG_1075.jpg

We then found this turret top on the beach, we also found one on an earlier trip to Moores Beach.
IMG_1076.jpg

We then spotted this floating out of the rustic colored Delaware Bay, notice the Horseshoe Crabs and the cinder blocks on the bottom.
IMG_1077.jpg

We then spotted this dilapidated shack that Al and Bill found on their trip.
IMG_1078.jpg

Proceeding further down the beach we spotted this sticking out of the sand, Al said that it is some sort of guy wire.
IMG_1080.jpg

A distant view of the run down shack.
IMG_1081.jpg

Reaching the terminus down the beach we rested for a spell, then we returned to where the road comes into the beach for a trek up the beach, Al told me and warned me that we were in for a ankle breaking encounter, down the beach was a cakewalk, our first encounter were these pipes sticking out of the sand.
IMG_1082.jpg

Here is a look back of what we just passed, no, we went into the reeds to get around this destruction, it looked like the place was bombed.
IMG_1083.jpg

Next up were these very large slabs, amazing what was left here.
IMG_1084.jpg

We then saw what seems to be this concrete encased water heater.
IMG_1085.jpg

No swimming today, rip currents, nice sandy beach here.
IMG_1086.jpg

This looked easy to transverse but you would not believe the concrete and cinder blocks in there, easy does it in that grassy stretch.
IMG_1087.jpg

Reaching the terminus at the upper end of the beach the pilings you see were all burnt and charred.
IMG_1088.jpg

Resting for a bit before we turned back to the road out we found this brick with a name on it which Bill also photographed before.
IMG_1089.jpg

Anyone for some PVC, it's in great shape.
IMG_1090.jpg

We then came upon another brick with a name on it.
IMG_1091.jpg

It was now time to get back to the road that took us to the observation deck, reaching the road entrance we rested again consuming more bottled spring water, when i arrived in the morning it was cool out with a nice breeze, it kept the Gnats, Greenheads and Mosquitoes at bay, now it was dead calm, the bay was flat as a pancake, and the bugs were hungry, time to go. Here is a look at the road back to the observation deck.
IMG_1092.jpg

Arriving back at the parking lot i was exhausted and the fourth Ibuprofen 800 was downed, it was time to part ways but i told Al that i wanted to visit another place that i have never been to before Caviar or Bayside, i knew it was around Greenwich and Al's direction got me there without a problem.

Arriving on Bayside Road an hour later, i took this pic of a Turtle at the side of the road, he struck up a pose for me.
IMG_1093.jpg

I arrived at the end of Bayside Road to a gathering of Bikers fishing and wearing their colors, i did notice that there were still two houses with private property signs on the north side of the road.

Turning around i wanted to go to the observation area on Caviar Tower Road, arriving at the end of the road the deck was not there just some supports on the ground where it use to be, a man and his son from Salem who were going fishing told me that the kids burnt it down, i now know why there are Township signs there saying that there is a $200 fine for anyone caught there a half hour before sunup and sundown.

Now to my main objective in Caviar, i have been fascinated with the place ever since Father Beck wrote about it, i wanted to see the old wharf pilings and to see if i could still find some ties and rails from the Jersey Central Line Southern Division remaining, i was soon to be rewarded, thankfully also it was low tide. The first pic shows some pilings where the Russian Trawlers came in to dock with their load of Sturgeon for making Caviar, hence the towns name.
IMG_1094.jpg

Another set of pilings across the creek.
IMG_1095.jpg

A view of Bayside where the two houses are, the telephone pole area, and the Salem Nuclear Power Plant.
IMG_1096.jpg

Now for the ties and rails reward.
IMG_1097.jpg

Just some ties remaining here and a sliver of rail.
IMG_1098.jpg

And for the last pic of the day, the end of the line right at the old docks, this was a real busy place at one time.
IMG_1099.jpg

Mission accomplished time now to head for home, i arrived home at 3 in the afternoon, tired , exhausted , i had another great day exploring with Al, but, it was a long ride to Thompson's, Bayside, and home due to George's brother dying this week, George's main duty is to now take care of his frail 91 year old mother and family always comes first, i do not know if George can ever going exploring with me again due to that fact, but i salute him.:beerspill:

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice finds there Jim! It is great you are following and finding history.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Melancholy.

I wonder what it would look like without all that rubble. They could create a Class B recycling facility down that way just for that.

Nice photos Jim.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jim,

I didn't remember any houses out there and like i said,last time i was there i knew nothing of the caviar operation so wasn't looking for any railroad tracks.you dod pretty good for not having any county maps.i remember having to make a lot of turns getting there.Did you make a venture out toward tindalls island? even if you don't make it to the island the walk out toward it still has some very nice views.
Al

Oct 25, 2006
Nice finds there Jim! It is great you are following and finding history.

Guy

To just see what Caviar looked like when Father Beck visited the place, and what the man from Salem told me yesterday Bayside and Caviar are considered two separate entities. The man from Salem also told me that he has all of Father Beck's books.

Jim

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Jim Great looking trip. Were the gnats bad? You should really check out Bayside and Caviar at low tide when you get a chance. There's a lot more to see, and there's a ton of stuff that's hidden under the water. I'm planning on heading out to the Thompsons area within the next month. Looks like a neat place.

Oct 25, 2006
Melancholy.

I wonder what it would look like without all that rubble. They could create a Class B recycling facility down that way just for that.

Nice photos Jim.

There is battle going on now between the Nature Conservancy and Heislerville, the Conservancy wants to remove the rubble and rebuild the road for emergency vehicles and for a muck free walk for birders etc. and for people who want to just visit the beach.

Heislerville says that removing the rubble would would enable the Bay to encroach on the town. Coastal engineers are now doing a survey to find the best solution.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Jim Great looking trip. Were the gnats bad? You should really check out Bayside and Caviar at low tide when you get a chance. There's a lot more to see, and there's a ton of stuff that's hidden under the water. I'm planning on heading out to the Thompsons area within the next month. Looks like a neat place.

The bugs got bad when the wind died down for a spell, not too many Greenheads out, but wear knee high boots, and if you do not mind putting on Avons Skin So Soft the repellent version, that will kill the gnats as soon as they land on you. Al and i were repellent free yesterday.

I was at Caviar at dead low, the man from Salem said that there was scattered old glass about, but i just wanted to see the rails and ties and get home to shower up and rest. Enjoy your trip.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
Jim,

I didn't remember any houses out there and like i said,last time i was there i knew nothing of the caviar operation so wasn't looking for any railroad tracks.you dod pretty good for not having any county maps.i remember having to make a lot of turns getting there.Did you make a venture out toward tindalls island? even if you don't make it to the island the walk out toward it still has some very nice views.
Al

Al

Your directions to Bayside were dead on, i have been to Greenwich many times when i use to take the wife to the Ship John Light Restaurant, from Greenwich to Caviar though besides your directions were somewhat confusing, right on Greate Steet then a left then another right then a left to Caviar was verified by me Saturday night on Bing maps.

For further verification when i got to Greate St. in Greenwich an old timer with one of those long brimmed old style fishing hats set me further straight saying that while making a right on Greate St. go a few miles down Greate St. until i came to a Presbyterean Church, make a left hand turn going straight to Tyndall Island Road, then making a right on Tyndall to Bayside Road.

I did not go to Tyndall, maybe next time, but the man from Salem said that there was a Bald Eagles nest off to the side of a road that started with a W at the end of the W road where old docks were located, i wanted to go there, but that remains for the next trip also.

Definitely like Kevin said Caviar and Bayside are a low tide visit to see things.

Also Bayside Road and Caviar Tower Road were pothole free, real good asphalt. And when you make the left hand turn in Bridgeton on Rt.49 past the Church and Cemetery to go to Greenwich there is a sign saying Bayside 10 miles.

Jim

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al

Your directions to Bayside were dead on, i have been to Greenwich many times when i use to take the wife to the Ship John Light Restaurant, from Greenwich to Caviar though besides your directions were somewhat confusing, right on Greate Steet then a left then another right then a left to Caviar was verified by me Saturday night on Bing maps.

For further verification when i got to Greate St. in Greenwich an old timer with one of those long brimmed old style fishing hats set me further straight saying that while making a right on Greate St. go a few miles down Greate St. until i came to a Presbyterean Church, make a left hand turn going straight to Tyndall Island Road, then making a right on Tyndall to Bayside Road.

I did not go to Tyndall, maybe next time, but the man from Salem said that there was a Bald Eagles nest off to the side of a road that started with a W at the end of the W road where old docks were located, i wanted to go there, but that remains for the next trip also.

Definitely like Kevin said Caviar and Bayside are a low tide visit to see things.

Also Bayside Road and Caviar Tower Road were pothole free, real good asphalt. And when you make the left hand turn in Bridgeton on Rt.49 past the Church and Cemetery to go to Greenwich there is a sign saying Bayside 10 miles.

Jim

they must have fixed the road since i was there.i remember it being a very slow go because of the potholes last time i was there.
Al