Thousands of Red Admirals

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
flitting thru t0day, can't recall ever seeing so many. It's like the fall Monarch migration. Couple of termite blooms. All it takes is a little warmth.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
flitting thru t0day, can't recall ever seeing so many. It's like the fall Monarch migration. Couple of termite blooms. All it takes is a little warmth.
Yep seems there out all over
Red-Admiral-Photos.jpg

Not my picture.http://www.animalspot.net/red-admiral.html
Red admirals feed on the fermenting fruits, sap flow of the trees, bird dropping and if these are not available, they prefer the nectar of flowers like milkweed, honeydew, aster, red clover etc.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
014.JPG I saw this one today on Turkey Buzzard Bridge Rd. hanging out with a bunch of green flies on something stinky.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was down in deep south jersey today and the amount of these was insane. At points they were flying into my face and I couldn't walk forward without running into them.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was down in deep south jersey today and the amount of these was insane. At points they were flying into my face and I couldn't walk forward without running into them.

There were many reports of them. Must have been the strong southerly winds.

I saw them yesterday as well. I went home for lunch and as I was leaving for work I noticed all these butterflies passing through the yard. Then I saw the flying infront of my car everywhere. Sitting at the light at 322, I caught a glimps of one on the ground, and drove slow when the light turned green and saw it was red admiral. They are out today too, tho not near as many as yesterday. Just a few here and there.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Hey It even made the news

A swarm of butterflies have been making their way through New Jersey in recent days.
Experts say some ecological switch apparently got flicked somewhere, because red admiral butterflies apparently decided to leave the warmer confines of the South and migrate north.
And many of them seem to be hanging out in New Jersey.Friday, a spotter in Avalon recorded seeing more than 500 butterflies pass him in one minute, Crewe said. A change in temperatures or in the length of day likely served as the basis for the migrationary trigger, he said.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/05/05/butterfly-swarm-descends-on-new-jersey/

http://www.app.com/viewart/20120504/NJNEWS/305040094/Butterflies-swarm-N-J-northward-migration

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I was wondering. I saw many butterflies the last day or 2. Also,we usually start seeing hummingbirds about now, or within a week or 2.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I also noticed a large number of small brown moths in the pitch pines yesterday. I was involved with something else and didn't have time to catch one but I sure hope we do not have another pine looper infestation looming.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I noticed the Admirals on a walk yesterday in Estell Manor County Park. Then I watched a hummingbird in the woods at the edge of my yard for a couple minutes. It is just amazing how they can hover in one spot. They're so small that I often mistake them for a big moth at first. In the summer I see them around the yard amost every day. I don't have a bird feeder.

I get hummers each summer also. I don't have a feeder either, but I have Coral Honeysuckle, Cardinal Flower, and Trumpet Creeper and impatiens in the window boxes, so that's what draws them in. The first one I ever saw I actually heard first. I was in the kitchen washing dishes when I heard this little peeping in front of the window. I looked up and a female was only 18 inches from me enjoying the impatiens in the box on the kitchen window. It was fascinating to see her that close.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you can get to Wells Mill CP in Ocean County, just sit on the porch. You will be bombarded by hummers, dozens of them :D

Female Ruby-throat
1071905876_5e2199049f_z.jpg

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
49er, we live at the end of 532 and it never ceases to amaze me the humming activity at Wells Mills. We go there often to do walks. We put out a few feeders to try to discourage the dogfights, but there will always be the dominant male chasing the others off. I like the way Wells Mills put up their feeders and the quanity.