"Thru-hiking" the Batona

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

Speaking of him, have you noticed he changed his site. I was trying to find the photo of him after he ran the Batona and can't get to it as of yet.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
smadigan said:
So has anyone ever backpacked the whole Batona trail in one shot? I would love to hear any experiences!

Sean :bear:

In the fall you should try going cross county. The Batona is nice, but it avoids many of the more scenic area's in my opinion. At least in the sections I have been on.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
You know . . . i've only been on pieces of the batona . . but alot of it seems like closed-in no-scenery type trails. Although i found a pinesnake on the batona once . . . so that's a plus.

-Bob

smadigan said:
What good places do you recomend off trail?

Sean

Too many to name here. Just about any place has someting to offer. Of course bogs, swamps and savannas offer the best scenery. I wouldn't reccomend going on your own though as you can get into some hairy situations. I also wouldn't reccomend going off trail this time of year. I got chiggered on Saturday and barely stepped off trail to grab a couple of rasberries.

Steve

smadigan

Jul 29, 2005
Self-imposed exile in Philly
Thanks BEH. I am planning on doing this in the winter to avoid just the sort of thing your talking about! I went moutain biking a couple of days ago and there were ticks everywhere! No bushwacking for me until the temp drops below 40!
BTW...what is a savanna?

Sean :ninja:

Shoefly

Aug 23, 2005
Atlantic County
BEHR655 said:
Too many to name here. Just about any place has someting to offer. Of course bogs, swamps and savannas offer the best scenery. I wouldn't reccomend going on your own though as you can get into some hairy situations. I also wouldn't reccomend going off trail this time of year. I got chiggered on Saturday and barely stepped off trail to grab a couple of rasberries.

Steve
I was brousing this forum for the first time, when I came across your posting. I would have fallen out of my chair laughing at your remark about getting "chiggered", had I not been too busy scratching. I am relatively new to NJ, and went mountain biking in Wharton State Park this past weekend. I took a break by lying on the ground for about 20 minutes, and now I am covered from my feet to my buttocks with calamyne lotion.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Oh Man!! Lying on the ground for 20 min this time of year is suicide! Hell, 5 minutes is crazy. I got them for the first time in college mountain biking around Stockton State. Fun aren't they? I've had them numerous times since then, and have a few scars to show for it.

Here is the trick: spray yourself with 40% deet and/or spray your clothes with permenthrin. Keep your pants tucked into your socks, in thick woods wear slick rubber waders (Bobs' helpful suggestion). Of course mountain biking you wouldn't be doing that.

When you get home take a hot shower and go hog wild scrubbing.

There is not much you can do now but wait it out. If you pick up chiggerEx or Chigger Rid from the pharmacy it helps diminish the itch. Also, I've found ocean water really takes away the itch and seems to heal quicker. By the time you start itching, the chiggers are already gone but you can get a secondary infection from scratching which is worse that the intial bite so don't scratch.

If it makes you feel any better, I got a few last weekend also, but not too bad. Good luck.

Jeff

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
woodjin said:
There is not much you can do now but wait it out. If you pick up chiggerEx or Chigger Rid from the pharmacy it helps diminish the itch.
Jeff

Good suggestions here Jeff, but a word of caution to some. My husband used that ChiggerEx recently (NOT his first time using it) and got a severe reaction to it this time. He became real lathargic and felt sick to his stomach. Not to mention this stuff smells horrible...like sulfer only stronger!! Ewwww! And the smell lingers even after it's been washed off. I guess you could either itch yourself to you bleed or use this stuff, itch somewhat but stink to high hell. (IMHO)

--Bev

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, when you are done showering go outside in the sun if it is daytime and look for them. Showering and scrubbing does not remove them very well.

Guy

Shoefly

Aug 23, 2005
Atlantic County
Thanks for all the advice guys. I did take a hot shower as soon as I got home from biking, to include a scrub down with a mild bleach solution. Now I just have to endure. Caladryl seem to work pretty good. You would think being from NC, I would know better, but NJ chiggers seem to attack with a vengance.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The trick with the showering thing is; it has to be done within 4 hours of being exposed to them. After approx. 4 hours they have latched on. I will often stop home for a shower and then head out into the woods again. It has worked pretty well for me.

Bev mentioned the sulfer smell. I heard that sulfer is the #1 deterent against chiggers, but, as Bev pointed out, it is probably the #1 deterent against most living things with that smell and all.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I got chiggered tonite. I was a mile from the car too. I had just left the woods onto a bog and looked down (I wear light colored pants in summer). There was a half-dollar sized patch or tan colored dirt, but it was moving, starting to spread out in various directions. I had spray on with a high percentage of deet. I pulled them off with my leather gloves, then dipped the gloves in the water. I came home and scrubbed with a washcloth and have my clothes in the laundry. Time will tell, but so far, so good.

What great weather, right? I have never seen an August this nice.

Shoefly

Aug 23, 2005
Atlantic County
O.K., I am going to put myself at risk once again. I am going mountain biking tomorrow afternoon near the old Amotol Race Track. Since wearing pants is not an option, and it is not recommended to put Deet directly on skin, any suggestions?