Tick today

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yep! Went on a hike with my little guy Jack. He stayed to the path (mostly) but I got in the woods a little and sure enough a mature dog tick was crawling up my leg when I got home.

So, am I the first of us to get a tick (or see one) this year???? There should be a prize.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
Yep! Went on a hike with my little guy Jack. He stayed to the path (mostly) but I got in the woods a little and sure enough a mature dog tick was crawling up my leg when I got home.

So, am I the first of us to get a tick (or see one) this year???? There should be a prize.

Jeff

Jeff

Chech out my Smithville (High Bicycle Town) outing in the trip report section, my friend had one on him on February 10th, picked it up at Union Clay Works.:)

Jim

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ

Jeff
saw one last weekend 3/29. wasn't on me. it was crawling on my TP. checked my self when home, nothing! when are chiggers out???

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My wife and I were out near Mannis Sunday and we had nine between the two of us. Six on me, three on her.
One made it overnight on me and I ripped it out Monday morning.

I am a tick magnet and get more ticks than anyone I know in the course of a year. I have had ticks in every month of the year.
I have a couple of permanent bite marks on my abdomen from many years ago.

I have never had Lyme disease and I previously researched the likelihood of developing immunity to Lyme disease after repeated exposure to ticks. A few web articles that I had found confirmed that it is possible. I bank on that immunity.

Give me ten embedded ticks to one chigger any day.
:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have never had Lyme disease and I previously researched the likelihood of developing immunity to Lyme disease after repeated exposure to ticks. A few web articles that I had found confirmed that it is possible. I bank on that immunity.:)

I'll take ten chiggers to one gripping tick. A tick bite stays with me for six weeks. I think I had lymes in 1980's when it was relatively unknown, but am now immune and / or used to it. Seriously. Either that or it will catch up to me someday.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I'll take ten chiggers to one gripping tick. A tick bite stays with me for six weeks. I think I had lymes in 1980's when it was relatively unknown, but am now immune and / or used to it. Seriously. Either that or it will catch up to me someday.

I had Lymes in 1990, it was just about the sickest I've ever felt. I never heard the immune idea, but hopefully since I had it I'm immune. It hasn't kept me out of the woods, though. I'm just more careful now. No ticks this year yet.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
have had 3 in me and about 4 or 5 crawling on me so far over the past 2 weeks. my fiance also has had a few. I think theyre gonna be bad this year. I never have this many already.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan

You are probably not immune to Lyme disease. Don't let complacency keep you from taking precautions against tick bites. Plus, (I probably sound like a broken record), there is more than Lyme disease to worry about when it comes to tick bites. Basically, that is the least of our worries. My boss had both ehrlichiosis and Lyme disease in the same summer two years ago. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, caused by a rickettsia, is also in our area and is life threatening.

From the website of the Wisconsin health department: http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/communicable/FactSheets/LymeDisease.htm

Does past infection with Lyme disease make a person immune?
Although past infection provides some immunity, this immunity is relatively short-lived. Therefore it is possible for a person to get infected more than once.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I collect engorged ticks from my coworkers' pets, I rear them and use them in cruel and evil laboratory experiments. People bring them to me often, and I have been getting them pretty much all winter.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
They are definitely around, and I've had a couple on my pants recently but no bites. I started wearing my permethrin-treated clothes a couple weeks ago, so I generally don't worry too much about them...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Well, clearly there is no prize for me. I wish I could perform cruel and evil labortory experiments on them also, like Sue. Maybe I'll set something up in the garage (insert evil laughter).

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
Well, clearly there is no prize for me. I wish I could perform cruel and evil labortory experiments on them also, like Sue. Maybe I'll set something up in the garage (insert evil laughter).

Jeff

It would be fantastic if there was some kind of an airplane delivered birth control spray for ticks and chiggers, of course without hurting the wildlife, flora, fauna and the rest of the environment.

Jim

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have been getting ticks on me at work for the last week or so, I pulled one off our barn cat this week also, time to put on his new flea/tick collar which works good and keeps him tick free all summer.

I had some ticks back in February and early March. Mosquito Biologist I know says ticks are amazing (minor chord music) as they basically wait in brush / weeds / high grass near active areas (road sides are a favorite haunt - drawn to heat and vibration). They go on "standby" until they detect either motion (vibration) or heat (as in me or you or the critter of choice) and start waving their arms and legs until contact is made. If they get no contact, they can go back on standby! And they can wait for about a year! when it gets cold, they seek a crack in the bark or other shelter (but are available for birthdays and Bar Mizpahs).
I had Lymrix shots back in the early '90s. They were touted to immunize you, but as it turns out, nobody knows if they do or not. many side effects were noted and they discontinued dispensing them. (Funny note - now it turns out if tested you get a false positive so they have a harder time seeing if you have it, or just test like you do!)
You really should use preventive measures like products with a high concentration of DEET. also treat your clothing (and truck or mode of transportation) with a product like "Permonone", which when sprayed on gives you about 2 weeks of wash and wear! (Just don't spray your skin!)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I got 7-10 on my pants today. My son got one. No bites (that i know of). I was given that lyme shot also and had a really bad reaction. Ticks suck. chiggers suck too. But, like Bob said, I would take chigger bites over a tick bite. Tick bites just never go away.

Speak of the devil.... woke up with one on my back! Used every implement in the kitchen to reach and remove it.... Finally the wife came home and removed it with Extreme Prejudice! Even with the products I use they still get through the perimeter! Yeah, if you had something like this that attacked Phragmites, it would be on the endangered list! (Get busy with that evil Lab!):argh: