Time to split some wood

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Doesn't Al Gore have some kind of powerpoint presentation to refute that? :eng101:

Well, last fall when everyone was talking about the pine beetles, the old-timers said we needed a few good cold winters to get rid of them. So maybe something good comes from all this?

In the graphic that he kept showing however, the abnormally cold zone was just South of New Jersey - somewhere around Virginia - and we were in the neutral zone between the cold and warm. Not much we can do about it anyway.... and I think I will be good with my firewood supply for the rest of this year (maybe...).

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In the graphic that he kept showing however, the abnormally cold zone was just South of New Jersey - somewhere around Virginia - and we were in the neutral zone between the cold and warm. Not much we can do about it anyway.... and I think I will be good with my firewood supply for the rest of this year (maybe...).

He did point that out as being his previous prediction and went on to say that his updated prediction says that area would be true blue until 2030. I should be dead by then, or in a physical & mental state where I really won't care :)

What ever happened to Mr. Gore?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
He did point that out as being his previous prediction and went on to say that his updated prediction says that area would be true blue until 2030.

Oh, OK. I'll admit I started to space out myself after the first minute or so but I did watch the whole thing. He kept going back to that same graphic again and again though, and that gave me the idea it had *something* to do with whatever his point was.

I do remember the song "send lawyers guns and money", but that reference went completely over my head as well...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What woke me up was his use of the term 'mini ice age'. I better add a couple more cords to the pile.....:rofl:

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake

Attachments

• 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 289

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
New Jersey winters are the suck.

It is all in how you look at it and where you are from. I was born in Vermont. The winters in South Jersey are not that bad, even with the temperatures we have had the last few days. My sister sent me a text this mornig from Northern Vermont, "It's 22 below here this morning". Dangerous cold.

I know people that burn 10 cord of wood a winter in Vermont. When I have used my wood burning stove for my only sourse of heat in the winter in Jersey I burned a little under 3 cord, in a cold winter.

I will take a cold South Jersey winter over a normal Vermont winter any day!

Chris

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My sister sent me a text this mornig from Northern Vermont, "It's 22 below here this morning". Dangerous cold.

Yeah, and I lived in upstate NY for many years where it gets really cold. But the point is.... this ain't New York and it ain't Vermont. It's South Jersey and this is an unusually cold winter.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yeah, and I lived in upstate NY for many years where it gets really cold. But the point is.... this ain't New York and it ain't Vermont. It's South Jersey and this is an unusually cold winter.

-27f in Saranac Lake, coldest spot in the country today. I fondly remember the day over the holidays our septic system froze up at our place in Jay. :D I think it was -32f with little snow cover, which probably was the main cause.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It is all in how you look at it and where you are from. I was born in Vermont. The winters in South Jersey are not that bad, even with the temperatures we have had the last few days. My sister sent me a text this mornig from Northern Vermont, "It's 22 below here this morning". Dangerous cold.

I know people that burn 10 cord of wood a winter in Vermont. When I have used my wood burning stove for my only sourse of heat in the winter in Jersey I burned a little under 3 cord, in a cold winter.

I will take a cold South Jersey winter over a normal Vermont winter any day!

Chris

Hah, I don't mean bad as in cold, by any means. I was born in Michigan, grew up in upstate NY, lived in New Hampshire, and worked and skied regularly in Vermont. I know what it feels like to have your sinuses freeze solid in the morning :). No, what I hate about most jersey winters is being halfway between cold and warm, with all the ice and slush and mess that goes with it.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
what I hate about most jersey winters is being halfway between cold and warm

Thats true. Jersey winters are a gamble, you can have a Carolina winter or a New England style winter. I like the winters when we get little to no snow and some what mild temps. Maybe next winter.

Mark, I lived up your way for a few years in Port Murray, the winters in that part of the state were real close to Vermont winters.

Chris

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thats true. Jersey winters are a gamble, you can have a Carolina winter or a New England style winter. I like the winters when we get little to no snow and some what mild temps. Maybe next winter.

Mark, I lived up your way for a few years in Port Murray, the winters in that part of the state were real close to Vermont winters.

Chris

Yeah Port Murray is right around the corner more or less. We do get some cold snaps, but like everyone else we've had a run of warmish winters, so this one comes as a bit of a shock.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Was in the Adirondacks just last weekend. -8 was the HIGH where we were, thats without wind chill. I did see Saranac Lake on the tempature map.. dam thats cold. Its been a long winter in the pines too, but I kind of like it that way until at least March. Still got plenty of firewood. Im waiting for a break in the weather so I can start splitting for next year.