Tons of Snakes

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I know this isn't Pine Barrens related, but since it's snake related, why not share pictures with all you guys. I was up in Pennsylvania saturday for snakes, went to a hot spot I know of where I've had luck with Rattlers back in 03. So why not try it out again? In this pic you could see why the snakes are attracted to this area.
P1010081.jpg

The first snake of the trip was this Eastern Garter Snake
P1010006.jpg

Here was something that I thought was really cool, I manage to find them whenever I come up. A red eft, the land form of the Red-spotted Newt.
Eft-SandSpring.jpg

I didn't find ONE black racer, but did manage to find 5 black rat snakes hiding from the sun up in the walls. Some were unreachable, including a huge one that had to be atleast 6 foot! We only got one down, but here are some situ shots of 3 different rat snakes.
P1010076.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010088.jpg

Okay, lets get to some of the more interesting snakes of the trip. Crawling around on the ground was my 2nd ever eastern milk snake! He gave me a little bite, but it was nothing much. Still trying to find my coastal plains back in NJ!
P1010073.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

Here is I really "hit"..... just over the rocks in a log pile, what's that? A big fat water snake? No, it's a Black Phased TIMBER RATTLER!!!
P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

I got very close, and here is an aerial shot of when it was crawling back in the wall. It never rattled, if I had my hook along I would of brought him out on the trail for some better pics, but i left it in the truck so it wouldn't attract any attention.
P1010068.jpg

I was very surprised I didn't find any copperheads, supposely they're one of the most common snakes here.... Too bad I didn't find 3 timbers like last time, but I'll settle with one anyday!

Thanks, hope you enjoyed! -Brandon

Trip Totals and other notable animals:
1 timber rattlesnake, 1 milk snake, 2 garter snakes, 1 dor water snake, 5 black rat snakes, 1 red eft, 1 slimy salamander, + redback salamanders, 1 dor red fox, + black and white warblers, 1 red-breasted grosbeak, 2 indigo buntings, + scarlet tanagers

btw- anybody seeing any pileated woodpeckers or summer tanagers this year?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
NJSnakeMan said:
Trip Totals and other notable animals:
1 timber rattlesnake, 1 milk snake, 2 garter snakes, 1 dor water snake, 5 black rat snakes, 1 red eft, 1 slimy salamander, + redback salamanders, 1 dor red fox, + black and white warblers, 1 red-breasted grosbeak, 2 indigo buntings, + scarlet tanager

What a great day for a field naturalist! You've been due such a day! Again- thanks for the pics and a good report.
Dave

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I saw one summer tanager in cumberland county, and in my only trip to central pa this year I saw many pileated woodpeckers. I normally get to pa more, but my back has been to bad to hike steeper and harder terrain. Very nice pics.