Toyota 4runner issue

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
For you guys on the forum who are good mechanics, I sold my Tacoma this year, as it was really beat up. I've been looking for a decent used 4runner for a couple months now, and it's a really hard thing to find. I now have a good lead on a 2007 model SR5 with a V6. But, according to the owner, in his own words:

"I want to be honest with you. I have a problem with right front axle. Car has a little vibration on 28 mph only"

Being not totally dumb about mechanical things, my feelings are that it could be something simple, like an unbalanced tire or a damaged rim. Or a bit serious like a CV joint, or even a bent axle. Or could it be real serious like something wrong in the transfer case?

What is your opinion?

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
A few things to check, as you said tire unbalanced or slipped belt, impact break, etc. bent rim, loose lug nuts, bad wheel bearing, sticking caliper or other brake issues, CV axle or joint. A ripped CV boot may lead you in the right direction. More involved would be u-joints or driveshaft carrier bearing. MORE involved would be pinion or carrier bearings in the front differential, or other driveline issues. Its very hard to say even for someone that works with Toyotas on a daily basis without seeing the truck, knowing the mileage and experiencing what you have live time. Some questions:
1. How long has it been doing this?
2. How many miles?
3. Has it been to a shop for diagnosis? if so did you see the repair orders? what did they say?
4.How bad is the vibration? did you notice it or did he point it out first?
Knowing these trucks and the price they go for you may also want to take it to your mechanic to get it in the air and look for frame rust, accident damage and any other costly repairs that aren't in the forefront.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Joe. I have not purchased or seen it yet except online. It is a very clean 4runner from the photos. I think it's just one of those people that bought one for security and the looks of it. It has 139,000 miles on it now. He mentioned it to me first, before I drove up there to look at it. I don't think he took it in for analysis at all, as this is his offering to me via email:

"I’ll give you a discount to replace this part"

When he said it that way, it gave me a clue that he doesn't have a clue. But you're right, I should at least ask if he had someone look at it, and how long it's been happening. He did say a 'little vibration".

I will be knocking on the frame for internal rust, to see if I can get a sense of that. I was tipped off about that via my old Tacoma.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Sounds like he is playing it straight with you, Its worth at least a look if the price is right and its what you're looking for. The mileage seems decent, 10K or so per year, plus he is willing to discount based on the repair.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, he's only the second owner. It was leased 3 years, then owned by him 10 years, and he put on an average of 8,320 miles per year. Not bad, but the the one who took the lease put 17K per year on. Looks like they were all easy miles though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My son Jeff bought one for the woods Bob. It's an older one too. He had CV joint issues almost immediately.
If you want to talk to him I will have him call you. Let me know.