Trail Journal: Batona 6/1 - 6/3/07

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
After picking my Jeep up from the shop on Friday I packed it up and headed to the Pines. I had been waiting weeks for my solo backpacking trip and I was ready and rearing to go. I headed over to the Atsion Station to pay for my campsites. I brought 2 dollars with me to pay for my two primitive camp sites (a dollar a piece in february). I went inside the station and told the two women working that I was planning to hike part of the Batona trail and that I would be utilizing two of their primitive campsites, the Batona Camp and the Lower Forge Camp. They said no problem and told me it was a total $4.
"Arn't the campsites $1 a piece?" I asked.
"The prices went up a few weeks ago," ...and so i put a $4 charge on my credit card.
Just then another women walked in to reserve a campsite and pointed out a sign that i had not noticed earlier. The sign read: FIRE BAN IN EFFECT, NO GROUNDFIRES. I nodded in slight disappointment and headed out the door.
I headed over to the Batona Camp, across from the Carranza Memorial over in Tabernacle. When I arrived I was met with renewed spirits, the fresh piney air had brought back the excitment I had started the trip with, and I had the whole campground to myself.
I found a nice log to sit on while driving through to find a site but it was heavy and it was a ways from my desired camping area... so i put it in my jeep and hauled it along over to my site. I set up tent rather quickly and soon began to notice the mosquitoes. I wanted that fire now more than ever. I proceeded to saturate myself with bugspray in hopes that this would relieve the incessant buzzing and biting. It worked for a while.
I took a seat on the log which I had brought over earlier. Pulling out my cook stove and mess kit, I felt a great satisfaction that I had taken the time out of my schedual to come and do this, this was exactly what I needed. I boiled off the water i needed and poured it into one of those fancy freeze dried dinners from REI. I had never had one before and was anxious to see what it was like. Jamaican BBQ Chicken, which was mostly just rice and seasoning and a little bit of chicken. It seemed like there was a lot of water, it had a kind of soupy consistany... but it wasnt all that bad.
After dinner I filtered some water and another group of campers came to the site. There was a lot of them and they liked singing and playing acoustic guitars. I didnt mind but I got the idea in my head that they were over there singing all those god-fearing campsongs like coombiya and all those that follow along with it.I could have sworn i hear them singing "Jonah rowed the boat ashore," I couldnt help but smile. With no fire to keep my moral up and an early morning ahead of me i turned in for the night. About a half hour later the sky started to light up and thunder started booming. I was almost certain that it would rain. The other campers were too, so certain in fact that they packed up and left. It never rained.
The morning was beatiful, I lingered in my sleeping bag for a little longer before changing into my hiking attire and breaking down camp. After having a blueberry and granola breakfast and after getting all the equiment I need into my near 40lb pack I filtered the rest of the water I needed for my trek and parked the jeep at the Carranza Memorial.
The woods were lush with chest high vegitation, mostly blueberry bushes. I was a month or two early I figured, just a little soon for ripe blueberries. It would have been nice to have a free snack but I was stocked with Wild Bill's beef jerky and trail mix so I was set.
I noticed almost immediatly how bad the Pines were hit with Gypsy Moths this year. They were EVERYWHERE. Ticks were even worse. At one point on the trail I stopped to rest at a small clearing and sat ontop of my pack. I watched handfulls of different sized ticks race to be the first one on me. After a while flicking them off seemed useless and I was covered correctly and they couldnt bite into my skin so I picked up my pack and pressed on. I went through 3 bottles of water and I was very pleased with my new Katadyn Hiker Pro water filtration system.
It was a little after 2pm when i arrived at my spot for the night at Lower Forge. I set up camp and hung a clothes line then proceeded to the water for a cool dip. The water was amazingly cool. Just what i needed after my 6mi hike. I went in, in my boots to help protect my feet. Afterwards I put my socks that I had taken off on and hung my boots to dry. I air dried in my socks and appriciated the fact that I had the woods to myself. When it came time to get dressed I noticed that I hadnt checked my socks for left over ticks before putting them back on and I found that i had made some friends, about 12 to be precise. Mostly they came right out but I did have to burn a couple. I checked my clothes thoroughly after that.
I made myself dinner, beef stroganoff, much better than my meal from yesterday, it was thick and creamy and they didnt skimp on the beef.
I had a real hard time hanging my bear bag. There were hardly any descent trees down wind and there were almost no rocks to tie to the rope. When I finally did get the bag up in a tree a few pieces of bark fell from above and landed right in my hair. I brushed it off thought nothing of it until later when i felt a tick biting into my head. Luckily I had added some Bertie Bees products to my first aid kit and had with me a hand salve which i applied generously around the tick that was now imbedded into my skull. I waited a few minutes and gave the culprit a tug, thankfully it came out easily. (recent information has informed me that this is a bad idea and I would only recommend this technique as a last resort.)
Around 5 or 6PM I started to hear some voices and 4 people walked up the hill from the water. They had canoed down to the site. Two adult males and two children a boy and a girl. The older of the two males apperared to be the father of the other and the grandfather of the children. Anyhow they were very loud and the father of the children was a jerk. Yelling at his children about everything he could and acting like they were home and i wasnt anywhere in sight. It was starting to get to me. I go solo hiking to... imagine this, be alone in the woods. I felt far from alone in the woods. Then I noticed the smell of smoke and I look over to find that they are having a fire. Granted it was in a special fire stand but it was a fire during a fire ban none the less. Now as someone who deeply loves the outdoors and is avid about protecting them I felt forced to say something. All I ended up doing was making sure that they were aware of the fire ban and making sure that they had paid for their site so that their mistakes werent stuck on me, after all who am I? I may love the outdoors but Im in no position of authority and they would have blown me off anyway, so I just made sure that they kept it small and I jealously returned to my side of the campground. I turned in early again, thoroughly checking for any sign of ticks everywhere. The neighbors were loud.
Morning came and the sky was dark and the plants were poised and ready for rain. I broke down camp, filtered water and headed on my way. I kept looking at the sky hoping for a cool rainfall. It didnt rain until I was back to the Jeep, which would have been best if I was in a survival situation but since I was only hiking I was disappointed that I didnt get a nice cool shower on the hike back.
At some point on the trail I came across a medium sized gecko that was really, really cool. It made me notice how similar the pine barrens really are to a desert. Hot days, cool nights and fine grain sand. It doesnt matter how much vegitation there is because when you are out there chugging along the Batona, water sources are far apart and if you dont carry enough, especially at this time of year, you will deeply regret it.
Despite all the hardships, the increase in price, the fire ban, the other campers, the ticks, gyspy moths and poison oak as well as the heat... it was an amazing trip. Amazing, though I would at least wait till blueberry season next time.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Tick bites in the head are very rare.

Note; in these parts we call "adult males" men. Say....you're not from outer space are you?
:)

But in this case, it was appropriate to call them jerks too.

The fire ban was a tad overblown in early June.

Nice report. I liked reading it............bob

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report and a great read. You are clearly an experienced outdoorsmen but I just wanted to comment on a couple pine barren specific points:

That was a fence lizard (or swift) not a gecko. Your bear bag should be referred to as a racoon bag now (there are bear but very few and far between). There are no rocks, only sandstone (iron ore) and beacon hill gravel. Did you say you got poisen oak? I don't recall that I have ever come across poisen oak in the deep woods. Could it be something else?

Sorry to hear about the hippies and the jerks. Well, I guess the hippies wern't too bad. I too like to be alone when I set out alone. It is fustrating when you witness people who seem to have no appreciation or respect for something you value, or even just polite consideration.

I can tell from your attitude that you have alot of great experiences ahead of you in the pine barrens!! Welcome to the forum and to the area!!

Jeff

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
Nice report and a great read.

Thanks a lot Jeff. I guess you can tell from the way that I write and from the stories that I have to tell that I am from up north. I grew up in RI and spent my summers in NH. Its funny to now be exploring a place that is completely different.
Thanks for the corrections. I really appreciate the info.
That was a fence lizard (or swift) not a gecko. Your bear bag should be referred to as a racoon bag now (there are bear but very few and far between). There are no rocks, only sandstone (iron ore) and beacon hill gravel. Did you say you got poisen oak? I don't recall that I have ever come across poisen oak in the deep woods. Could it be something else?

I dont know if it was poison oak or not but I know that it was not poison ivy... I have that now ::laughs:: whatever it was it sure was itchy.
Ya Im really not used to lizards, ::laughs:: it looked to me like a gecko a buddy of mine had, so thats what I called it. Thanks for giving me the correct name. I really like to learn about the plants and wildlife that new places have to offer. As far as the rocks go... I actually miss having them strewn about everywhere. Nothing to give weight to the end of a rope, nothing to stumble over or scrape your Jeep on, on the trails, or to put in a sock and defend yourself from crazy animals or hunters, no sweet fire rings, just sand... ::shrugs::
So I guess that in that case I dont need to go as all out as I do when hanging my food, if bears arnt much of a problem.
What techniques do you guys use to store your food on backpacking trips. The one ive ended up with is the two-tree stretch. (I made the name up myself.) basically its like this:
\V/^^^^\V/
l l----o---l l
l l_______l l

I can tell from your attitude that you have alot of great experiences ahead of you in the pine barrens!! Welcome to the forum and to the area!!

Thanks Im looking forward to discovering some interesting places that I would have normally overlooked. I see that most of you here have a lot of invaluable information to offer. Ill try my best to give you all mine.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
The Katadyn Hiker Pro: a Review

How is that water filtration system? How does the water taste. How long does the process take?

The Katadyn Hiker Pro
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/basegear_1957_28800021
Specs:
Technology: 0.3 micron pleated glassfiber removes bacteria, cysts and sediment
Output: Approximately 1 quart (1 liter) per minute with 48 easy strokes
Capacity: Up to 200 gallons (750 liters) on 1 cartridge (depending upon water quality); use of included Filter Protector will extend cartridge life
Weight: 11 ounces
Size: 6.5 x 3 inches
Hose Length: 36 inches

I like this filtration system a lot. The best way for me to review it I guess would be a list of pros and cons.
Pros:
Lightweight
Compact
Ease of use
Reliable parts and construction
Convenient travel bag with seperate output line bag
Smooth pump action
Availablitly of replacement filter
Great tasting water

Cons:
Difficult to set up
Difficult to clean in the field
Output line does not have a quick disconnect
Replacement filters are expensive

Overall the Pros outweigh the Cons. It is an invaluable tool, perfect for long or short backpacking trips and stays in other countries.
Im sure the main question is really in reference to cedar water and how the unit handles it. Well I have to say it is intimidating when you pump cedar water through for the first time. The water well pump out clean but it will still be stained that tea color. I started pumping it twice just to be safe. Once from the source and then again to be the final product. It tastes excellent believe it or not, and the tannin left in the water almost acts like a sweetner and gives the water a nice flavor. I once read somewhere that cedar water was described as sweetwater by some sort of earlier civilization, I dont remember the details.
When you clean your unit after you first filter cedar water, you will find that your filter has been stained that reddish brown and that there is a small amount of sediment in the bottom of the unit, just rinse it out and run some clean water through it. The tannin stains in the filter will not affect performance and may clear up if you use it in clearer water further down the line.
If you havnt yet purchased a PWFS look into the Katadyn Hiker Pro. It is one of the lesser expensive systems on the market, yet it is also one of the most capable and reliable.

Specs from: http://www.basegear.com/hikerprofilter.html

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for the info on the water filtration system. I have always been curious about them.
It seems your two tree method should be effective. I never got that involved about it. I just throw a line over an outstreatched branch.

Jeff