Train Wrecks 1967

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I'm looking for information on 2 train wrecks. Both of them happened right around the same time one in Chatsworth and the other right at the Jackson/ Toms River border. Even if you know what trains they would be would be a big help. Thanks.

Nykki

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bunnymom3 said:
I'm looking for information on 2 train wrecks. Both of them happened right around the same time one in Chatsworth and the other right at the Jackson/ Toms River border. Even if you know what trains they would be would be a big help. Thanks.

Nykki

Not sure about Toms River but in Chatwsworth five youths pulled a switch that derailed the Centrail Railroad of NJ which destroyed three locomotives, I believe.

The CNJ also had a big customer in Toms River so I'm sure I can find out for you. I'll post the information tomorrow morning for you.

What other information can I help you with?

If you're looking for other train wrecks that was even worse than the two you mentioned was at Winslow Junction. I can't remember the date off hand, but can look it up easily for you if you wish.

Also, there's a candy store right near Winslow junction where they have original pictures of the wreck.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
It's mainly those 2. My mom has home movies of both wrecks from when they went out there and my brother put them on DVD for all of us. I'm having him grab some of the pictures off of the DVD to post here and I want to make sure I post the right names of the RR for everyone.

He is also grabing me stills of the Laurel In The Pines hotel fire from Lakewood.

Thanks for your help :)

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
It's mainly those 2. My mom has home movies of both wrecks from when they went out there and my brother put them on DVD for all of us. I'm having him grab some of the pictures off of the DVD to post here and I want to make sure I post the right names of the RR for everyone.

He is also grabing me stills of the Laurel In The Pines hotel fire from Lakewood.

Cool!

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
It would have happened right around the same day. They went and looked at both wrecks that day. My mother was pregent for my brother at the time. She said it was either Sept. or Oct. So she was right.

Thank you so much
Mykki

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
It would have happened right around the same day. They went and looked at both wrecks that day. My mother was pregent for my brother at the time. She said it was either Sept. or Oct. So she was right.

Thank you so much

Mykki

Hey, Mykki, is that how you write you and Mitch together? :D

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That train wreck was a popular spot for the students at Lenape to go to when they cut class. I would hear them constantly mentioning it as a freshman. By 1973 when I first visited that area, I never was able to find any evidence of it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
That train wreck was a popular spot for the students at Lenape to go to when they cut class. I would hear them constantly mentioning it as a freshman. By 1973 when I first visited that area, I never was able to find any evidence of it. Guy

Guy, I was in the cars (after the wreck of course ) that spilled off the tracks in Woodmansie. Do you remember that one? Right down the road from Mt. Misery Road off Pasadena Road. Right by Bullock. This was about 1968(?) that I was there. They were full of sand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That must have been the one they all visited. I didn't get my drivers license until 1974. I had to rely on my brother and my one friend to get me around. I picked the places, they drove.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
That must have been the one they all visited. I didn't get my drivers license until 1974. I had to rely on my brother and my one friend to get me around. I picked the places, they drove. Guy

Ha! Go here, no here! I guess you were at their whim. So was I at that time. There were a couple of guys who had cars but I was still too young. I have vivid memories of one guy who had a corvair, and we used to drive aroung Lebanon State Forest smokin it up. He would whip that thing around the corners and curves and the back would swing around and fishtail, making the sand fly into the woods. Great fun. Allman Brothers and Crosby Stills Nash and Young blaring from the 8 track. Remember Chicago's cover of ..."I'm a Man"?

"I'm a maaaaan, yes I aaaam and I can't help but love you so! "

We wore that one out. Back then we used to chase the really big fires, it was the exciting thing to do at the time. We drove from 70 to Tuckerton one time chasing a huge black cloud of smoke. The guy had a comfortable Chevy Caprice. The State Police (the Man!) turned us back when we got too close.

Back in those daze I was driving my "old man's" Olds 98 through the Pines. You could fit a lot of kids in a 98 and we never got stuck. Learned a valuable lesson back then. Never use a screwdriver to force the cork into a bottle of Matuse to open it. It has a tendency to shower the entire contents all over the interior of you dad's car. Ah, those were the daze.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My grandmom owned a corvair! Unsafe at any speed acording to Ralph Nador. There was a little lever on the dash you would slide up and down to get into drive and reverse. My moms neighbor bought it from her and won awards at car shows with it, and it eventually ended up in a car dealers showroom on display. It was perfect!

I have the Chicago 2 album but really was not a big fan. That 25 to 6 to4 (spelling?) song drove me nuts.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
Never use a screwdriver to force the cork into a bottle of Matuse to open it. It has a tendency to shower the entire contents all over the interior of you dad's car. Ah, those were the daze.

:lol: One time I spit out the window of that Caprice and I didn't notice the damn window was closed!

I liked Matuse too. Do you remember drinking Boone's Farm Apple and Strawberry wine? And cold quarts of beer to go with that toke? We used to get a quart of cold bud for...what...80 cents?

B

BarryC

Nykki,
I have a very old postcard of Laurel in the Pines. I'll find it, scan it and post it later this weekend. I might have a couple other similar cards too. I'll see.
bunnymom3 said:

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Bob M.
I love the Allman Brothers Band. My alltime favorite 8 track/cassette/LP/CD is of course Live at the Fillmore. I can't get enough of the song ' You don't love me'. Just awesome. By the way they are on tour again and sounding great.
Ken