Trains found underwater off of NJ coast

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have been trying and trying to post this in the General section and cannot get a message box in which to post anything in.I tried to post the topic and then add the message l;aster and it tells me I need a message but there is no friggin box to post a message in.Then I come here and found it.Thanks for posting it Jeff.I found it very interesting and was frothing over not being able to post it since yesterday.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bzzzzz! Guess again.

Unless this is a new discovery and not the subway cars, its got to be either the 2 engines that were on the Arundo when it was torpedoed in WWII, or the 2 engines the dive captain found in the mid 80's fairly close to shore. They are both pretty old news :smug:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I wonder how they landed on their feet. The strapped to a barge idea made sense. All of the barges I dove sunk flat on the bottom.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"It is odd that these heavy objects did not sink into the sand. Instead, they sit upon their wheels as if the sand were hard as rock, with a big space beneath each engine. MoDiver reports that the engines actually rest on iron gratings in the sand, something that the Deep Sea Detectives missed entirely. This would be the equivalent of modern warehouse pallets."

http://njscuba.net/sites/site_locomotives.html

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Unless this is a new discovery and not the subway cars, its got to be either the 2 engines that were on the Arundo when it was torpedoed in WWII, or the 2 engines the dive captain found in the mid 80's fairly close to shore. They are both pretty old news :smug:

You seem like such a pleasant fellow.

Reactions: jburd641
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
"It is odd that these heavy objects did not sink into the sand. Instead, they sit upon their wheels as if the sand were hard as rock, with a big space beneath each engine. MoDiver reports that the engines actually rest on iron gratings in the sand, something that the Deep Sea Detectives missed entirely. This would be the equivalent of modern warehouse pallets."

Pretty freakin' neat.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

Oh, you mean you might heard of this before, maybe? I'm so embarrassed. In the future I will make certain to PM you my plans of providing a link, and await your approval, so as not to run into this predicament again.:rolleyes:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Oh, you mean you might heard of this before, maybe? I'm so embarrassed. In the future I will make certain to PM you my plans of providing a link, and await your approval, so as not to run into this predicament again.:rolleyes:

No need to be embarassed. I'm sure many folks that are train buffs or live along the ocean know of these sites; some from the news reports, or from diving on them or fishing on them. I heard about them in the mid 80's from a friend that dives. A great spot for sea bass. The NJ Museum of Transportation at Allaire arrested both locomotives in US District court seven years back. They have the bell of one of the locomotives at the museum. You might try to relax a bit. :beerspill:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

sand is basically crushed rock and when it's wet it is usually quite hard,easier driving anyway.I have no experience diving so perhaps the sand on the ocean floor is more of a silt and they would sink as you say I just know sugar sand hardens up or packs when wet.

NealS

May 23, 2011
Warren County, NJ
I can't think of any purpose to ship a locomotive with water in the boiler, so maybe they had a softer landing than would have otherwise occurred. Assuming they were sealed up, the added bouyancy might have also kept them upright.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The was a great watch Jeff! Finding something from 1851 is quite exciting.

Guy

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
The two trains in North Jersey waters have been known to Jersey divers for at least, 30 years. They were on a barge that sank upright, bardges do that. The site is considered a ship wreck since it was not sunk on purpose, as opposed to a ship sunk on purpose and that would be called an artificial reef. The water up there gets a lot of sediment from the Hudson river, therefore the visibility is limited. A few times during the year it clears up due to ocean currents. Because of this, the site is not visited by SCUBA divers very often. Danny Lieb, from Neptune, had the wrecks arrested. He had the wreck arrested for salvaging reasons. That means that divers cannot physically touch the wreck, it is protected by US Marshals. The Marshals would only go there if someone were to complain. Other reasons that ships can be arrested is for insurance claims, civil law suits against the owners, and a host of other ideas. There is very little historic interest in salvalging these locomotives because there were so many types made before the civil war with no standardization. They may be the only two of its kind ever, they may never had been operated or been used, no one knows if they ever worked.