Tree Cutting on Quaker Bridge Rd.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Sorry if this is already a thread somewhere on here, but I didn't see anything.

Took a ride home from work through the pines yesterday and noticed about a 2 acre or so section of pine cut out of Wharton SF on Quaker Bridge Rd. about 3/4 mile outside of Atsion. It looked like anything larger than maybe a 3 or 4 inch diameter. I should have stopped and checked it out but didn't for some reason. Didn't see any machines.

Does anyone know what's going on over there? I saw a ranger driving through before I saw the cut, otherwise I would have stopped him.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There is a lot of tree cutting going on trying to control the beetle problem. Wharton would know of it.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Sorry if this is already a thread somewhere on here, but I didn't see anything.

Took a ride home from work through the pines yesterday and noticed about a 2 acre or so section of pine cut out of Wharton SF on Quaker Bridge Rd. about 3/4 mile outside of Atsion. It looked like anything larger than maybe a 3 or 4 inch diameter. I should have stopped and checked it out but didn't for some reason. Didn't see any machines.

Does anyone know what's going on over there? I saw a ranger driving through before I saw the cut, otherwise I would have stopped him.
GREENBANK, N.J. - February 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's only February, but the state Department of Environmental Protection has crews out in Wharton State Forest cutting down fields of damaged pine trees.

It's an effort to stop the spread of the southern pine beetle, which destroyed about 7,000 acres of forestland in New Jersey last year and is already active this year.
"The warm winter has created the conditions that are ripe for them to start to move again," said Pine Beetle Project Manager Ron Corcory.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8552307

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks - that's the place I was talking about.

"Some environmentalists have complained about the cutting..."

I have to wonder if this cutting will ultimately do more harm than good, especially when they haul away all the trees. The area of this cutting looks more like "yard" than "woods" now, which is why I thought it might be some kind of development.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the info, I didn't know all that about the Pine Beetle. Must be turning into a serious situation if they are starting to cut down the pine because of it. I guess they are spraying after the cutting, or at least when it's loaded on the trucks? Otherwise, yes, I could see these beetles jumping off the trucks or getting caught in the wind and really spreading all over the place.

This year is going to be brutal as far as bugs go. Gnats were already buzzing my head on Friday pretty good.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I drove Quaker Bridge Road this morning and saw the area. The trees are jusy laying on the ground with brown needles. Are they just going to leave them there? How does this solve the beetle problem?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Does anyone know where I can take a look at the map of the "Fruitland Improvement Company" once at Atsion? There was a copy in the Burlington County Clerk’s Office at one time but no longer.

The ground they cleared just over the railroad line on Quaker Bridge Road was part of the town of Fruitland and there were several houses in this area at one time. I don’t know if they were part of fruitland or not. I walked the area last week, found a part of an old bottle and a couple of red bricks but that was all. I’m thinking the houses were just a little past the area they cleared.

Don

Does anyone know where I can take a look at the map of the "Fruitland Improvement Company" once at Atsion? There was a copy in the Burlington County Clerk’s Office at one time but no longer.

The ground they cleared just over the railroad line on Quaker Bridge Road was part of the town of Fruitland and there were several houses in this area at one time. I don’t know if they were part of fruitland or not. I walked the area last week, found a part of an old bottle and a couple of red bricks but that was all. I’m thinking the houses were just a little past the area they cleared.

Don:

Welcome to the forums!

I remember viewing the original Fruitland survey map years ago at the clerk’s office, but like other important public documents there, it has been missing for several years. Another map that had disappeared more then ten years ago is the 1795 map of Taunton Furnace. Two years ago, someone discovered the map in a collection donated to a local South Jersey historical society. Not knowing the identity of the map, the person showed it to me and I immediately recognized it and the large purple numbers stamped on the back confirmed it as the map missing from the clerk’s office. Working with the local society and the New Jersey State Archives, the map was returned to the current county clerk, Tim Tyler, who promised to protect the original and place a photocopy in the red expandable folders. I tell you this story to let you know that someday the Fruitland map may reappear under similar circumstances.

There are, however, many other important and historic original maps in those same folders, which should be digitized and the originals put away for safekeeping. It is unfortunate that past county clerks have been poor stewards of the records under their control. For one of the original counties in the colony of West New Jersey, so much of its historical material has disappeared, especially when compared to the robust collection of material generated in Gloucester County, which still retains documents dating to the seventeenth century.

During the last 40 years, the New Jersey State Archives has come down to the Burlington County Clerk’s office and Surrogate’s office on several occasions and gathered up boxes of records, but much of the missing material had disappeared decades before at the hands of the clerks and, to a much lesser extent, common thieves. Tyler is doing a good job with the funds he has available and the county did establish a records storage center a few years back to house historic materials. While we cannot now recover the records disposed off by past county clerks and surrogates, we can salvage and conserve what is left. The clerk’s and surrogate’s offices must, however, do something to increase security within their collections and prevent the continued pilferage by the thieves who visit there.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman,

Goerge Flemming and I use to go downstairs in the clerk's office back in the 1970's and it was filled with old records and documents. I was there a few years ago and found very little other than deed books and road returns. I did find the Raliegh map and made copies of it. Also found the results of some law suites between Wm Richards of Batsto and the Atsion Company. I don't think it covered Salt's Ditch, Which as you know was Joseph Saltar, Lawrence died in 1783 and the ditch was dug 1786 by his brother Joseph who seem to be running Atsion at that time. I don't know anything about the law suits, is there any information on them.

I would love to find the location of 1793 survey map you mentioned. Would like to see where Saltar's original mansion house stood and the furnace which I think was on the north side of Atsion River across from the forge, but not sure, .I have somewhere, the co-ordinates of the original Atsion Forge that George and I located also in the 1970's.

Thanks for the info, I love the way you work an interesting story into these post it's great, Don

Don:

The case files you found in the basement during the 1970s from various county courts are now at the NJ State Archives. In addition, you can visit the NJ State Library and in the Law Library on the main floor, you can search for published court cases, which the state began during the late eighteenth century. Both the state supreme court and the court of chancery have volumes of published cases, which represent case precedence. The 1795 map to which I referred was of Taunton Furnace, not Atsion.

BTW, your mention of the Raleigh map reminded me that few people are aware there are actually three sheets to the Raleigh survey. Years ago, I reviewed all three sheets at the Camden County Historical Society, although I cannot vouch for their continued existence there.

You will find some mention of Lawrence Saltar in a posting I made back in 2009:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/riding-to-atsion-in-1773.5787/

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman, I followed you on the 1795 Taunton Furnace map. The Atsion survey map of 1793 was made in relation to the law suites between Batsto and Atsion. I think you mentioned it in one of you post in 2009.

Thanks I’ll try to be more clear, Don

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Jerseyman, We are on the same page now. The results of the lawsuits that I found in the clerks office was dated 1793 and may, in part, have something to do with Locks Bridge?? I transcribed it. If anyone wants to try and make some sense out of it I will post what I transcribed. Without knowing the original charges it is hard to understand the final decision. I’m not sure if anyone is interested in the history of Locks Bridge or not. Don

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
[quote=". I’m not sure if anyone is interested in the history of Locks Bridge or not. Don[/quote]

I sure am, post away.

Ed

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Ed
I transcribed this about 20 years ago. At the time I thought the fourth award dealt with the Atsion Company controlling the water and flooding the ore beds by use of the locks. Thought maybe the slag was brought in to control the flooding. But, after reading it again today, the words “when they draw for their own use” could mean draw from the Machescatauxin Creek by way of Saltar’s Ditch and into Atsion Lake to increase water volume/flow. Without Wm Richard’s original complain it’s hard to be sure, but from the fourth award it looks like Wm Richards was trying to stop Atsion boats from using the river.
Please read and maybe you would have some idea where the river may flood into ore beds. I know you and many others in this forum are very familiar with the river.

Award between Wm Richards and Atsion Company
Know all men by these present, that whereas William Richards owner of Batsto Iron works land and estate there to belonging and Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, and John Drinker owners of Atsion Iron works land and estate appertaining there to, have by their bonds bearing dated the twenty third day of January One thousand seven hundred & ninety three, (January 23, 1793) bound and obligated themselves, heirs, executors and administrators in all things well and true to hand, to obey, abide, perform, fulfill, and keep, the award order arbitrement final end and determination of Elijah Clark, John Gaunt, Joseph Willcox, Lewis Darnel, & John Lacey, or any three of them arbitrators indifferently chosen & elected, as well on the part and behalf of the said William Richards, as of Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker, to arbitrate & determine of and concerning all matters in variance between the said William Richards and the said Henry Drinker, Joseph Saltar, & John Drinker and of and concerning of all manner of action & actions cause or causes of actions Bills, Bonds, to essiasses accounts damages and demands whatsoever at any time hereafter under the hand and seal of the said arbitrators or any three of them, and ready to be delivered to the said parties indifference on or before the twenty third day of July next insuring the day of the date of the said obligation, reference being there to had will more at large appear. And whereas we the said arbitrators aforesaid chosen & named having taken upon us burthen of the said award and having named the said parties, their evidence and their allegations touching the premises aforesaid and after having duly considered the same do hereby give forth this our award & determination there on --- as follows ~
First, we do award, and order, that all actions or suits in law heretofore had or depending by or between the said parties, shall henceforth séace and determine.
Secondly we do award that all the wood now standing on a survey the Atsion Company holds under Josiah Foster laying on the Southerly side of Egg Harbor road and adjoining a forty seven acre survey belonging to the said William Richards and also the wood of fifty acres to be laid off from survey made to Atsion Company on the northerly side of the aforesaid road and adjoining a survey belonging to the Earls the said fifty acres beginning at a Pine tree by the side of the said road marked H D and to be laid off in as a compact a body from said beginning as the shape of the survey will permit of.
Thirdly we do further award that the right of the said William Richards to the ore within the deputed & established bounds of John Estell’s surveys at the time the said Estell conveyed the same to (Charles Read) is good and valid to the same William Richards and that no survey made or to be made within the said Estell’s line can be invalidate upon or destroy the same.
Fourthly we do further award that the Atsion Company shall have a free & uninterrupted passage down & up the Atsion River with their boat they assisting the said William Richards & being at a mutual & equal expense & charges with him in writing and repairing from time to time such banks and domes along the banks of the said river as will prevent the water when they draw for their own use from overflowing the beds of ore and preventing the razing and casting off the same --- and in case the said Atsion Company shall neglect or refuse to send hands to do the work when legally notified by the said William Richards he may cause the said dam or dams to be made & repaired at his own cost & charges, and the said Atsion Company shall pay one half of the same --- Subject to a reasonable adjustment there on to be made by indifferent persons to be chosen by the said parties for the purpose.
Fifthly and lastly we do award that the Atsion Company do pay unto the said William Richards the sum of five pounds ten schilling being the expense of a former arbitration and further cost having accrued respecting the premises – exclusive of the book accounts of the said parties.

I guess I wasn’t very much help with Locks Bridge after all, sorry

Don

P.S. How bad is the road back to Locks Bridge? Do you go in from the north side (Mullica River Rd) or the south side (BatstoFireLine Rd).

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
From the north off of Quaker Bridge Road. The road is not bad, some soft sand and I donot use 4wd there. I see cars there frequently.