Tree Frog?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Came back to the house a few minutes ago (8:30 pm) and heard what sounded like very, VERY, loud crickets in the bushes around the house. Went inside, listened to frog calls on a website and found Hyla squirella, Squirrel Tree Frog, that sounded the same.
But...
Hyla squirella range supposed to be from Virginia south.
Anyone else hearing them? Have they moved up to South Jersey?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I didn't know about Green Treefrogs expanding into NJ. Have you confirmed this yourself Chris? Are people bringing them in? How would they get across the saltwater to here?
Could these be cricket frogs? they are mostly in thick vegetation in shallow water.have never heard them in trees.
If there are Green Treefrogs here Whip will have to spark up his recorder to get another species.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I didn't know about Green Treefrogs expanding into NJ. Have you confirmed this yourself Chris? Are people bringing them in? How would they get across the saltwater to here?
Could these be cricket frogs? they are mostly in thick vegetation in shallow water.have never heard them in trees.
If there are Green Treefrogs here Whip will have to spark up his recorder to get another species.

Al, there have been confirmed sightings and calls in Salem County.

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/b...-green-treefrog-found-in-southern-new-jersey/

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
We haven't been able to photograph the little critters, but further sound comparisons make us correct our identification. Now strongly believe them to be Pseudacris triseriata kalmi - a Jersey native - based on recordings on the New Jersey Fish and Wildlife website. Sorry to have misidentified them but the sounds are similar.......

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Al, apparently they came here naturally. I bet they have been here for a while and went unoticed until recently. I don't know the exact location but I think its by Supwana. They have also expanded into cumberland from what I'm told. A friend found one about five years ago in medford and called me and I told him to keep it assuming it was someone pet that could spread disease, may have been native. If you remember barking trees were here at one time in cape may, guess these things can happen.

Johnnyb, are you south of the mullica, chorus frogs aren't common above it. The sound like a finger going over a comb.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Howdy dragoncjo - no, we're in Burlington County, retirement community that pbx calls Seizuretowne. There were several of tje critters calling at the same time, located in the bushes between our house and the neighbor to the north - maybe 25 feet space. They were LOUD, 'way above crickets and katydids.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Is there water, vernal pool, pond, etc. chrorus wont call without water, its rare for most frogs to call this time of year as well.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
The area between the houses had been soaked by a sprinkler system. Subsequently it dried out and we haven't heard them.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob: We didn't go back there when they were "singing" in the yard. We haven't heard them since that night, and if they were doing so from the swale on the following nights we'd have heard them.
One night stand???