Trimble Outdoors discontinues apps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Never used these myself, but I suspect some people will not be so happy about this: http://support.trimbleoutdoors.com/...s/848493-trimble-outdoors-sunset-announcement

"Trimble Outdoors Sunset Announcement
(March 22, 2016) — The following mobile apps will no longer be available for purchase or download after April 1, 2016:

• Trimble Outdoors Navigator
• Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps
• Backpacker GPS Trails
• Backpacker Map Maker
• Trimble GPS Hunt
• Trimble GPS Fish
• Trimble GPS Maps

Existing Trimble Outdoors customers can continue to use their apps, subscription services, and accompanying websites over the next year. Trimble is committed to making this yearlong product sunset as easy as possible. "

Looking around Trimble's website (the company that makes very expensive pro GPS devices), I found this - had always wondered what Trimble's relationship was to Trimble Outdoors. IIRC, people used to post links to MyTopo here when referencing USGS maps, and those links stopped working awhile ago. I guess this is the end of the line for whatever was left of MyTopo.

"In May of 2011, Trimble acquired privately-held MyTopo™ based in Billings, Montana. MyTopo is a leading provider of print and digital maps for outdoor enthusiasts. The acquisition expands Trimble's ability to offer unique map content and new outdoor-centric products while simultaneously enhancing its popular mobile apps—Trimble Outdoors™, AllSport GPS™, Geocache Navigator™, Cabela's Recon™ Hunt, and Backpacker GPS Trails. MyTopo offers several products to outdoor consumers using its topographic, satellite and aerial photograph map imagery. Products include print-on-demand custom waterproof maps, Internet-based map layers, digital map tiles for mobile devices and Terrain Navigator, a suite of mapping software products."