Trimming dune grass in Atlantic City

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Here we go again.Now after building these sand dunes to protect life and property.Some of the same people who wanted the dunes now want to make them lower.Just to improve the view.So when a large storm comes and damages there house they will say why did you lower the dunes.Maybe we should build a steel wall that has trees and grasses painted on it .That way they can lower it when needed it.
below is AC Press story
State officials started trimming dune grass in Atlantic City this morning to improve ocean views from the Boardwalk.
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection workers started mowing at 10:30 a.m. near Central Pier between Tennessee Avenue and St. James Place, one of 10 spots along the shoreline where they plan to cut grass by between 2 and 3 feet in response to local lobbying for reduced dune heights during the past two years.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_11796cec-db62-11e1-ad33-001a4bcf887a.html

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As long as the roots live, that's all that matters. I'm suprised they have to cut it as it does not grow very tall; it actually looks like its a different plant than A. breviligulata, which might reach 3 feet in optimal conditions. That looks more like an ornamental grass.

27228266.jpg

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
"Meant to stabilize the dunes, the grass had not been touched since 2004, when the DEP and Army Corps of Engineers constructed the sand mounds in an effort to better protect infrastructure and development from storm damage.
The grass-cutting that started today won’t disturb the root structure of the plants, so it shouldn’t destabilize the dunes at all, state officials have said.
Some local officials have said they questioned the effectiveness of those measures. They complain the dunes block the ocean views and breezes along the Boardwalk" [From the ac press]
The part I was talking about was the Removal of the top part of the Dune,The top 2-3 feet of the sand just to improve the View.Did not make that part clear,Sorry

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The part I was talking about was the Removal of the top part of the Dune,The top 2-3 feet of the sand just to improve the View.Did not make that part clear,Sorry

Well, if they remove 2-3' of the dune where the grass is growing, the grass is history and likewise the dune. I doubt the state will let them do that, considering the state put it in place. It is amazing how well that grass can keep the sand granules in place thru winds and tides. It is the single best and least costly thing that can be done to prevent dune erosion and blowouts in our storms.

You may get this kind of erosion in a bad storm. but the ocean stays where it belongs.

21363262.jpg

Your much less likely to get this kind of damage. The ocean punched thru the dune and did quite a bit of damage.

27378181.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is an awesome picture. Does that wreck still exist?

I'm sure it does, but it is no longer exposed, recovered the same year by another storm. This was back in 2004. I tried to find out the identity, sent the pictures and coords to Mystic Seaport, but all they could determine is that it was of a size probably used by locals and could date it possibly back to the mid-1800's due to the use of the bolts in its construction. There is another wreck nearby that is high and dry and alongside one of the pathways to the beach, but not much of it is left, just a couple of timbers.

One of the stranger things uncovered in the dunes by storms were several old cars in Mantoloking. They were used to hold the sand in place after a nor'easter back in the 50's. I think the town left them in place and recovered them.

Some closer looks;

27228267.jpg

27228268.jpg

27228269.jpg