Trout season opens Saturday

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Given the conditions in the bay, I'll be headed north to the trout waters instead of stripers on the flats this year.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/trtinfo_spring.htm

133171173.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My season has actually just wound down. I've spent a few late winter weekends catching small native brookies from a few semi-secret brooks I'm familiar with and some holdovers from the bigger streams. Once the crowds of April hit the streams I lay off for a month or so. Opening day used to be a tradition for me as a teen, even enjoying the camaraderie of the crowds. But once I got "hooked" on fly fishing I started enjoying the more peaceful conditions after the early season crowds disperse. I'll spend the time at my fly vise instead. :)

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
My son will hit the county park with a can of corn and our $15 fishing poles. It sure beats a day at the mall.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm going to try the toms river this year. I've of some nice trout coming out of it. Now I just have to find some spots

I can suggest 3 places on the Toms; Winding River Park off RT 527, the trout conservation area if your not after meat, which is accessed from the park or by the bridge on RT571, and further north in Jackson at the FREC off of 527. All will be circus time until stocking ends, except perhaps the conservation area. These areas are patrolled as they are very popular, so mind the regs. As the weather becomes warmer the aluminum logs begin, mostly from Winding River downstream. Have fun :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Sussex and Warren by any chance? Paulinskill and Blair Creek are great for Brooks and Brownies.

None of the well knowns in NJ, but all are within striking distance of Johnny's ;) I will be spending some time in NY with my brother, who lives there, on some of the classic Catskill water if they are in good shape.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
None of the well knowns in NJ, but all are within striking distance of Johnny's ;) I will be spending some time in NY with my brother, who lives there, on some of the classic Catskill water if they are in good shape.

Sounds like a great time! Good luck. A couple of my friends and myself had planned a fly fishing trip to the Dolores. We have talked about a few times but have never been able to organize enough to make it happen. Just think how much fun it would be riding in on horses and camping for ten days while fly fishing in those gorgeous Colorado canyons.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Sounds like a great time! Good luck. A couple of my friends and myself had planned a fly fishing trip to the Dolores. We have talked about a few times but have never been able to organize enough to make it happen. Just think how much fun it would be riding in on horses and camping for ten days while fly fishing in those gorgeous Colorado canyons.

My son and I had a pack trip to the 3rd meadow of Slough Creek in Yellowstone all booked up. On the morning we were to leave it was pouring rain, sleet and snow. The outfitter cancelled. I was happy. We found our own Cutt's. :D

18462141.jpg

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I can suggest 3 places on the Toms; Winding River Park off RT 527, the trout conservation area if your not after meat, which is accessed from the park or by the bridge on RT571, and further north in Jackson at the FREC off of 527. All will be circus time until stocking ends, except perhaps the conservation area. These areas are patrolled as they are very popular, so mind the regs. As the weather becomes warmer the aluminum logs begin, mostly from Winding River downstream. Have fun :D

Try Winding River Park off from Whitesville Rd. in Toms River.

Thanks guys. I will try them all when the crowds die down a little. I tried pemberton lake today, it was almost shoulder to shoulder people. Since I release all freshwater fish (even trout and perch but they are tasty), I think I'm going to focus on the conservation area. Is bait allowed or artificial only?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
.... I think I'm going to focus on the conservation area. Is bait allowed or artificial only?

Artificial only; special regs for TCZ's at the link. Also in the digest.

1. Only artificial lures may be used.

2. Possession or use of bait (live or preserved) or any substance (natural or

synthetic) that contains a concentration of bait scent is prohibited.

3. Fishing is permitted during the spring in-season closures which apply to the

river. All trout caught during these periods must be released immediately.

Minimum size if not released is 15 inches.

The CO's are dressed like fishermen. :eek:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2013/trtregs13.pdf