Turkey Beard

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York
Anyone care to pass on good locations in the barrens for Turkey Beard. Is the peak flowering over for this year or is this time about right? I plan on visiting next week for a few days of nature photography.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw one still looking semi good last weekend, so you may be able to find a few on their way out. Ed is correct that they did not bloom much this year. There are plenty of other plants available right now to photograph.

Guy

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York
Hi John,
Here is my thread from June of last year, Oddly enough they did not bloom this year. I only saw a couple of blooms this year and they are getting long in the tooth now. The best bet to see them is to drive the dirt roads in the pines in early June.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/f28/turkey-beard-forest-6521/

Ed

Thanks for posting the link. That is a really great group of them you found last year. I'll hope that next year will be better but lots else to see and do this year.

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York
I saw one still looking semi good last weekend, so you may be able to find a few on their way out. Ed is correct that they did not bloom much this year. There are plenty of other plants available right now to photograph.

Guy

Well, I'm going anyway since that was only one of my goals. Interesting that this was a poor year for them to bloom. Certainly true of other plant species to have off years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
any semi open pitch pine lowland habitat is a good place to find it.I know an old cycle trail that is now so overgrown that you have to feel your way down it till it hits some slightly higher ground and thats where the beard grows.if you have gps I can send you a track to the trail or i can send a photo of the area with track drawn in.very nice area with adjacent swam,river and bogs.
Al

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York
any semi open pitch pine lowland habitat is a good place to find it.I know an old cycle trail that is now so overgrown that you have to feel your way down it till it hits some slightly higher ground and thats where the beard grows.if you have gps I can send you a track to the trail or i can send a photo of the area with track drawn in.very nice area with adjacent swam,river and bogs.
Al

Thanks Al but my just received GPS Rino is not set up and the learning curve looks ... well, in a month or so I hope to have the time to figure it out. Powerful device but appears more complex than I would have thought (and I've not bought MapSource software yet). Is there any Beard still flowering?

John

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Is there any Beard still flowering?

John

Should be some around, try Carranza Rd.

This was taken June 30th of last year.

125533397.jpg