Turtle And A Hognose

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We went out today to look for new locations of Morning Glory, and on the way we stumbled on this male box turtle. However, the shell was the most featureless shell I have ever viewed. It was a fiesty one and even tried to bite me. Jessica was thinking it was not a box because of the shell.

IMG_9792a.jpg

One of the places we passed through today. This is at Rider Switch along the JCRR at the Batsto RR bridge. I have photos from this very location taken by me around 1975 to 1978. We spent quite a bit of time here back then. One of my friends who spent time there with me passed away many years ago. I stood there while Jessica walked around remembering the good times that has somehow been almost 50 years ago. The place has really changed along the tracks. Not for the good unfortunately.

I made a Then & Now many years ago and maybe will add another "Now" to it and post it.

IMG_9798a.jpg

We then traveled a half hour and walked a trail for 15 minutes and returned. On the way back walking the same route I saw this juvenile hognose snake. It was so hard to see it may have been there on our first pass by.

DSC_6333b.jpg

DSC_6322a.jpg

Here is a video of the snake. I was zooming in as far as I could go and I shake somewhat holding the camera. I don't carry a tripod.

It has a really funky way of moving. It is in 4K.

Click Here For Juvenile Hognose Snake

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Saw a crushed hognose on a paved road in the pines today. I thought it was a timber but was told otherwise. I have not had time to examine my photos.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was at Quarter Mile today and the water is still deep in some of the puddles. So while some places are dry there is water around. It is still too early in the year it seems to be really dry like last year.

DSC_6353a.jpg

Cleared away the vegetation somewhat from the lone white orchid we see there every year.

IMG_9808a.jpg

And like the last two years we flushed up a nighthawk that again pretended to be injured trying to steer us away from its young. Usually we find two eggs but this year we found one fuzzy fledgling. Maybe not quite a fledgling :)

DSC_6351a.jpg

DSC_6352a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The bottom of the shell was indented like a male and that is why I said male. I am not an expert on determining them.

Reactions: manumuskin

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That’s usually pretty accurate guy. The back of the carapace and small tail and behavior made me think male. Either way it’s always nice seeing them and never gets old.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This one is a female. Flat bottom and the eyes are not bright orange. It was much calmer as well. Who would have guessed :D

It also has the faded colors and is from the same general area as the one above.

IMG_9831a.jpg

IMG_9829a.jpg

DSC_6358a.jpg

Reactions: stiltzkin