Twilight in Wheatland

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Tonight Laura and I took off for Wheatland, better known as Pasadena to do some experimental photography.

I have long been a fan of Troy Paiva's Lost America, which is full of fantastic night-time photography from the American South-West. He uses a technique called light painting, which basically involves having really long (10+ minute) shutter times, and "painting" the scene with colored light, either via flashlight or via a camera flash.

He recently switched to digital, and the fact that he's using a camera very similar to my own made me decide to FINALLY go out and try it myself. (I had been putting off trying it with film since my Pentax K-1000 is a pain, and my Sigma 35mm would eat batteries keeping the lens open for so long.)

So anyway, take a look. What you see here is exactly what the camera saw - these images have not been altered in Photoshop. In fact only one image was cropped, and that was just to get a ghost image of myself out of the frame.

Let me know what you think. I'm really pleased at the results from my first time.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Really nice shots, the tower is an especially cool effect.
I'd like to try stuff like that.
I love taking pics but as of now I'm your plain point & shoot type.
Good luck if you continue, they are sure to get more interesting as
you experiment.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
checked out the sight

Ben,
I checked out his site, seems like he's been at this for awhile.
Man, with all the pines have to offer and with what you and especially Guy have what I would call somewhat exclusive access to some really cool sites, you could have a blast with this type of photography.
I think about what it would be like in a place like the Atsion mansion alone.
I know this might be off track but with my Jersey shore interests I see Lighthouse photos !!! Also.... Think, Fort Mott. Darn it all I wish I had the equipment for this !!! Please keep going & post pics !! I,m not sure about the reds but the greens and blues would be a killer.

George

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
George,

I still don't have all of the right equipment. I need to get a bunch of theater gels for more colors, and some more flashlights.

I have some ideas for other places to try shooting. Could be interesting. The problem is I am not really all that hot on being in the woods alone at night. My mind starts wandering, and sure enough soon I start hearing the Jersey Devil...

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
bruset said:
George,

I still don't have all of the right equipment. I need to get a bunch of theater gels for more colors, and some more flashlights.

I have some ideas for other places to try shooting. Could be interesting. The problem is I am not really all that hot on being in the woods alone at night. My mind starts wandering, and sure enough soon I start hearing the Jersey Devil...

Trust me, there's no time like night. Most everyone is somewhere else.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
involves having really long (10+ minute) shutter times, and "painting" the scene with colored light, either via flashlight or via a camera flash.[/QUOTE]

Ben,

Fascinating effects! What camera did you use? And have you tried illumination from an LED flashlight?
Neat stuff. Let us see more when you do it.

Dave

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
bruset said:
My mind starts wandering, and sure enough soon I start hearing the Jersey Devil...

Hearing!? In photos one and three it looks like you're SUMMONING the Jersey Devil! That red light is pretty crazy looking, it's a pretty amazing technique for sure. I definitely know what you mean though. I've been "in the woods" (as in around my house) at night plenty of times, but the Pines are a whole different world...