Unexpected Road

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
This strangely named road starts on Rte 54 and runs roughly northwest.
Anyone have info on why the strange name?
Speaking of which, we noticed a street sign in Glamssboro: "No Name Road".
That set some kind of a record. There must be an interesting story behind why it got that moniker.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob, it runs due west (not northwest as I had thought) from 54 past the Unexpected Refuge towards Blue Bell and Malaga.
If its named for the refuge my question moves over to the refuge........

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.56598124944451&lng=-74.92745954196931&z=16&type=terrain&gpx=

The road runs from Rt 54 to Piney Hollow Rd, but I'm not sure if you can drive the whole way through, seems to me there is a gate somewhere. Clearly that is where the refuge got its name, but I don't know the history of the road name. I recall there was an article somewhere about strange road names and Unexpected Road and and Shades of Death Road were the top two favorites. :) I think we have discussed this before here.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Unexpected was where the ancient Blue Anchor trail (Cumberland Furnace to Buena to Inskeeps Ford) split off at a spung to cross a beaver dam on Marsh Lake Branch. If you went due west instead turning north towards Piney Hollow you ended up at Blue Bell Tavern (c.1761) on Tuckahoe Road and shortly after at "The Lake" or giant spung that headed Marsh Lake Branch and its early settlement.

The modern straight Unexpected Road appeared on Beers (1872) where Pancoast of Pancoast Mill had a siding on the Vineland Railway, at which lumber products, charcoal, and hoop poles could be conveniently transported. Before rail service his forest products were hauled to Mays Landing and Schetterville (near Millville).

Screen shot 2016-03-28 at 8.08.13 PM.png

Beers 1872, Pancoast Station, a blue hole, Benson Farm
I have never found an origin for Unexepected, but suspect it might be the cranberry operation that shows up on the 1887 Cook/Vermeule map where the modern road crosses Marsh Lake Branch. I was told there once was a long shack built over the bog that became a speakeasy but see no evidence of such on the c.1931 aerial photomosaics. One of three blue holes on Three Pond Branch can still be seen near Route 54 & Unexpected Road, and was used for Baptisms. None of the three original Great Ponds exist today, but modern excavation renewed one of the water bodies.

Does anyone know the significance of the circled R. Benson Place near Unexpected Road's start?

S-M

Reactions: Boyd