Union Clay Works Cellar Digging

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Was out there yesterday, nearly drowning in the monsoon that rolled in. Not sure how I managed to get my car out but I will say that I love my Quattro!

Found two holes, possibly cellars, and there was evidence of recent digging in both of these holes since there were piles of fairly fresh dirt on top of all of the growth that was already in the cellars. I managed to take a pic before me and the dog had to run for the car.

HU6QV1N.jpg

The general holes are approximately 10 feet in diameter and perhaps 4 feet deep at the lowest point. The mounds of fresh dirt are about 2-3 foot high and perhaps 4 feet in width.

There was no fresh paths or marks showing that someone backed up and dumped this (it's not easy to get in and out of this area). I am assuming someone was digging and looking for something, and spent a good time doing so. Any thoughts?

Here's a pic of the post at what may have been the entrance to the area with a few items stacked on top of it:
WxfNHzS.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That looks like Red Oak Grove. Is this along the road?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. I believe I am correct in saying by looking at the photo's you are referring to Red Oak Grove and not Union Clay Works. Union Clay is further down the road. Your location was the home of Samuel Bryant that the road Bryant Road is named after. I have always felt the BR stone that is in the vicinity marks his property line. In any event, that should not have been disturbed and I will go this weekend and see if the location is correct. If so, I will contact someone who can tell me the exact person to mention it to. Thanks for the nice tip!

br.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you certain the pointer is in the proper location? If so, it is Union Clay Works. Jessica just looked at your photo without me saying anything and she said Red Oak Grove.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Guy, I went running out there and recorded by full track and I will upload the entire thing once I figure out how to do it. At minimum I'll post a screen grab.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like it is Union Clay as you say. I will stop in there this weekend. Jessica had Lasik Thursday and we can't do anything hard so I will drive to easy locations this weekend.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I didn't really get a chance to explore too much as the torrential downpour was in full force. There was also what appeared to be a horizontal tunnel being dug in one of them as well, or perhaps it was an animal...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It does look like a pot hunter to me. That iron implement looks to have been crudely crafted in a foundary, most likely from that era (a guess). I like the color and vibrancy of the grasses.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I came across a rabid metal detector guy a few years ago at Martha who was hell bent on finding treasure at one of the old sites. He said his uncle or grandfather had the original fireback from the Atsion Mansion. Sounds like a stolen item and would be good if his relative would be kind enough to return it since it was recently renovated! Haven't heard anything about it since. I would not be surprised if the guy I met is a member of these forums...if so, please try to have that fireback returned

Reactions: WaretownMike