USGS topo maps - where to buy locally?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

All the current versions of my maps are available now at GPSFileDepot: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/. Some of these are scans of USGS 24k topo's but those will only work on the newest Garmin handheld units (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMap 62 and GPSMap 78 series).

This one has the best coverage of the pines, as well as the rest of New Jersey and parts of neighboring states: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/. It is recommended for the models listed above as well as the Nuvi series of automotive units from Garmin. If you have an older Garmin unit, try my "classic" version in the link that 46er purchased.

Also, the Magellan Triton handheld GPS'es are compatible with the National Geographic State Series with their TOPO! software. The price on these has come down quite a bit recently, so I picked up the NJ-PA map. It contains very high quality scans of the USGS 100k and 24k topo maps - these look much better than the Terraserver scanned USGS maps we are all used to. When installed on the GPS, you will see the 100k USGS topo's when you zoom out, and the USGS 24k topo's when you zoom in closer. I installed all of New Jersey and it only took about 500MB on a memory card. You can also use the TOPO! software to print USGS maps (although I have not tried this yet myself). The National Geographic NJ-PA map was $50 at REI, but you can probably find it for even less online somewhere.

john33

Jun 10, 2010
Long Island, New York

All the current versions of my maps are available now at GPSFileDepot: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/. Some of these are scans of USGS 24k topo's but those will only work on the newest Garmin handheld units (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMap 62 and GPSMap 78 series).

This one has the best coverage of the pines, as well as the rest of New Jersey and parts of neighboring states: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/. It is recommended for the models listed above as well as the Nuvi series of automotive units from Garmin. If you have an older Garmin unit, try my "classic" version in the link that 46er purchased.

Also, the Magellan Triton handheld GPS'es are compatible with the National Geographic State Series with their TOPO! software. The price on these has come down quite a bit recently, so I picked up the NJ-PA map. It contains very high quality scans of the USGS 100k and 24k topo maps - these look much better than the Terraserver scanned USGS maps we are all used to. When installed on the GPS, you will see the 100k USGS topo's when you zoom out, and the USGS 24k topo's when you zoom in closer. I installed all of New Jersey and it only took about 500MB on a memory card. You can also use the TOPO! software to print USGS maps (although I have not tried this yet myself). The National Geographic NJ-PA map was $50 at REI, but you can probably find it for even less online somewhere.

Hey Boyd, your software looks fabulous. I recently got a Garmin Rino 110 (used on ebay at a good price) but I gather I'm better off with a different model Garmin to run your software. I'll check into Oregon, Colorado and Dakota models and see what I can afford.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hey Boyd, your software looks fabulous. I recently got a Garmin Rino 110 (used on ebay at a good price) but I gather I'm better off with a different model Garmin to run your software. I'll check into Oregon, Colorado and Dakota models and see what I can afford.

You can install my Map of New Jersey and see what you think. Because of some oddity in the cgpsmapper compiler, lowercase text doesn't work properly on these older models. I think it will be like my 60csx - the map will draw correctly, but very slowly, and road names will be mostly missing - it only shows the first letter of each word in the name. For example, "Mink Path Rd" would be displayed as "M--- P--- R-", where dashes are substituted for the lowercase letters.

Of course, if you can afford it, the new models are very nice, especially with BirdsEye imagery which is the same very detailed NJ 2007 Orthophotography you will find here at NJPB Live Maps.