Van Note Camp

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Van Notes Camp is detailed in at least one map I have viewed even though I can't seem to find it currently. In any event, it was shown located on a map near the site of the sawmill next to the Silas Little experimental plot along Glass House Road. That would be here with Silas Little's plot to the right of there.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.926277826399804&lng=-74.47791594665529&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

However, I have a map that was updated in 1944 where the camps name is written in at a slightly different location. They have it spelled Vanotes Camp and located west of there.

Van_Note_Camp.JPG

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm pretty sure that's it at the link you posted.

Van Note Lumber of Point Pleasant, NJ is still around - although it's just a wholly owned subsidiary of some other lumber company now. I am allegedly related to the Van Notes someway/somehow.

Beck only has this to say about Van Note Camp: "When Buckingham passed out of the picture, another camp was established, apparently in the hope that it could live down the tragic pall that had fallen on the other lumber town. This place, Van Note Camp, seems to have been started around 1900, down towards Upton, where additional cutting rights had been obtained. But when the timber here was worked off, the workers were released and today [Circa 1937] only a rusted boiler remains to show the camp existed."

Of Van Note Lumber (from Tides of Time by the Ocean County Principals' Council published in 1940, page 96): "Many of the present business firms [in Point Pleasant] were started before 1900. One of the oldest businesses is that of J.M. Van Note Lumber and Brick Company. This industry is the most important of all representative lumber industries in this section. It dates its beginning back to 1888, at which time it was founded by its present proprietor."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The aerial photo's of 1931 tend to agree with your assessment. There is very little going on at the location the map points to. I was in those woods quite a bit late last year and saw nothing that would make me think there was a camp or sawmill in the past.