Wading River Canoeing

Did Hawkins Bridge to Bodine twice in the last three months (most recently last weekend). The current was really moving this last weekend with the rain, but not as bad as I thought it would be (especially because you pretty much wanted the canoe to tip so you could cool off). Mosquitos are always bad, but they seemed extra bad this weekend. I'm wondering if its all the puddles from the rain.

Obligatory blog post with the pictures:
http://southjerseytrails.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/wading-river-paddle-woodland-township-nj/

Question: What is the boat falling apart in the river? I've always wondered.

Just after the boat, there used to be a dam that fell through a few years ago. I remember going over it and getting stuck many years. I even pulled over and followed the raceway out to the highway. What was the purpose of that dam? Was there a mill on the site? Or was it supplementary for one of the bigger operations nearby like Harrisville?

Reactions: Jersey Jeff
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I've wondered about the boat also. Has been there as long as I can remember. The dam was, as you guessed, constructed to divert water via the canal to Harrisville Pond in order to increase the amount of water flowing through through the mills there. Nice pictures, btw.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/two-wheelin-in-the-pines.4815/page-2#post-52359
Post 37

Hey BubbaMax.
That boat you mentioned (metal life boat) has been there since launched from Wading Pines campground 30+ years ago. The Pilings you mention is an area called the tumbling dam and was constructed for diverting water to Harrisvile for the old mill. Until recently, it formed a flat topped dam that held back enough water to help keep the River navagatable. It was actually the base of the original dam. Just below Evans bridge is another area of pilings that was the base of the original bridge.
kayakmac, Mar 11, 2009 Report

Reactions: dogg57