Want to buy a Larger Cedar Stump

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I am looking for a large cedar Stump, something atleast 24 inches in diameter at the smallest end, i would like something as gnarly as possible and can come and dig it up and pay for it if need be. Thank you in advance

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Built my mother a 1200 gallon or so koi pond and waterfall.

Was gonna submerge a cedar stump half in half out of the pond and use the hollow inside as a planter to put indegenous swamp/water plants inside.

I will find one eventually!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Sounds like a very cool idea. Just make sure you cover that pond or the herons will eat all your fish. Do you have a picture of the pond?

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I will post pictures asap, in July we lost a 11 inch Koi to a heron

I thought he was gonna be big enough to not get eaten but i was wrong.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I built a pond and a little stream at my house in Medford, but I gave up on the fish after I was completely cleaned out by herons one day....

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Heron are actually pretty easy to keep out of the pond itself.

Since they have to walk into the pond and cant land in it directly if u run posts with fishing line 18 inches high total 3 strands the heron wont be able to get past it. If you have racoons there isnt anything you can do cept not stock ur pond or continue to feed the racoons.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Raccoons shouldn't be a problem really. As long as your pond has pretty vertical sides a raccoon won't be able to get to the fish. If it is a very gradual slope than they will get the ones in the shallow water. I have lots of raccoons directly next to my pond under my shed and have never had a problem.

As for the herons I only have problems with them in early spring/late fall during migration. The fishing line does work good though and isn't as ugly as a net.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Yea, i kinda made a judgment error, well maybe not a error but i went for a very natural look to the pond, so there is no real sharp drop off on the one side, it goes from a swampy sand rock area to a very gradual slope as you would most likely see in a real pond.In the middle it goes to just over 40 inches in depth.

My vision was to use as much local flora and make the pond/waterfall look as natural as possible.My parents stopped feeding the koi about 4 weeks ago so hopefully they dont have any food left in them that will rot when there metabolism slows down for the winter.

I havent been to there house in about a month but i assume the koi are doing well.