Want to visit Joseph Wharton's Crab Island fish factory? Come fly with me!

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That's awsome. I often wonder how many more storms that water tower will withstand. Most, if not all the cross bracing is already broken

Last edited:

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Very cool. Is that P2 with a Go Pro? I have a P2 Vision with a RotorPixel gimbal. I saw you were thinking the same way I would in a couple spots. It looked like you had considered running between those two smoke stacks, but then decided to go over them. I would have done the same :)

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Well that just made my day, thanks for posting it! I admit that I got a bit of agita during the shots that put the drone out of the line of sight and close to the ruins. I don't think I will ever have the stomach to fly our drone, I am terrified of crashing it in a place like this where it would be impossible to retrieve it. But this is a subject we have been talking about photographing for years, even before we got a drone and flew a camera on a kite. It looks like it was a perfect day to be out there, and that a significant amount of deterioration has happened to the buildings in the last 10 years or so.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Brought back some awesome memories from my early days in the late 60's. Local neighbor would load a bunch of us kids up in the back of his old open bed pickup truck (imagine seeing that today) for a 5 AM run down Rt 539 from from Trenton to Great Bay Blvd. We would visit either Captain Mikes or Rands for a garvey rental. The old unreliable inboards which you always wondered if that was going to be the last time it would start that day. We would anchor up off the Stink House rigged for blow fish. An old wash tub with a block of ice sat in the middle of the boat and wasn't long before it was full. I recall the old underground cable running from land to the Stink House, although clearly marked, always gathering our lines and a few anchors being cut off that got caught up by it.

I would continue to fish from those boat liveries through my teens, the blow fish long gone, the inboards replaced with outboards and the fish of choice fluke.

As a kid looking at that great monster of steel it was eerie. Many questions wondering about it and only in my last 7 or so years here on the forum getting the answers.

Really appreciated the aerial views! Thanks

Reactions: Ben Ruset and John