Wanted: Trail of the Blue Comet book

HeathenClerk

Explorer
Mar 25, 2004
Beachwood
www.BeachwoodHistory.com
Hey all,

I'd like to buy a copy of that great book off anyone that might have a spare - my kids are getting older and I'd like to start telling them about some of the things inside it, though the only one I've seen is in the Wheeler Room at the Toms River Library, and that doesn't exactly scream fun.

Any help appreciated.

Erik

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is on ebay semi often. However, expect to pay quite a bit no matter where you find it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My brother is a book fanatic and collector, and after I mentioned I had the book he took it and covered it for me with plastic covers that he likes. It protects the dust jacket and the book.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Good luck in your search. I think if my house was on fire and I could only grab one book from my collection, it would be this one. Then I'd run back inside for my wife. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oh okay. You mean the plates for the book. I don't know the story but I am sure someone here knows.

Oh okay. You mean the plates for the book. I don't know the story but I am sure someone here knows.
Bob and Guy:

Sorry to say, but, yes, the plates and negatives for the book no longer exist. I had a conversation with John Bryans of Plexus within the last year or so concerning a possible reprint, but without the plates or negs, the task of scanning each of the 488 pages is just too daunting. So, I do not believe a reprint will ever occur, although we should never say never. Certainly the original publisher will not consider a reprint, so they would need to license another publisher to do so, if someone can be found.

Those who own copies of the book should handle them with great respect as they will only increase in value. I still hold three or four copies in their original shrink wrap, but I have no interest in selling my remaining stock at this point in time. I consider them a nest egg!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I really should create a list of my books for my kids, noting the ones which are more valuable. I'd hate for them to end among boxes of donated items when they could be sold for what they are really worth. Of course one would hope the kids might enjoy them, but so far they seem to be about as interested in history as I was at their age. In fact, I delight in threatening my teenage daughter with leaving her my brick collection in my will.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I really should create a list of my books for my kids, noting the ones which are more valuable. I'd hate for them to end among boxes of donated items when they could be sold for what they are really worth.
You might also consider keeping them in a very safeplace; safe deposit box, etc. and/or consider insuring them. I have some signed prints and a 1705 map by De Fer that won't fit in a SDB, but the insurance is very reasonable.

Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just curious - would that insurance cover them if they had been destroyed by flooding such as that caused by Sandy? I need to check my own policy that I carry on some equipment because I'm not really sure of the restrictions.

I had a friend in Philadelphia who lost a large part of his valuable vinyl record and vintage guitar collection through water damage resulting from fighting a fire on the floor above him. I remember he was fighting with the insurance company but not sure how it turned out.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I just dodged the bullet during Sandy. The flooding came within a few hundred yards of my house. Before we were evacuated I moved the contents of two bookcases, and everything else I valued, to the second floor. But you can't plan for everything. Who would have predicted an F-16 straffing my daughter's school? I can visualize arguing with the insurance adjuster, trying to replace my shot-up books, and him advising I should have carried fighter jet insurance. All kidding aside however, I know many going through just that type of nonsense now.