Wanted: Used Coleman Scanoe

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I'm looking for a used Coleman Scanoe or comparable square-stern canoe and am willing to travel anywhere in Jersey south of I-195. I am surprised how difficult this is and wonder if anybody out there has one you've been thinking about unloading or knows of somebody who is.

Thanks, Noelle

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Most of the used sCanoes I've seen have been for sale with a small outboard or electric motor. If you need a motor option, might want to consider a canoe with a motor bracket. I used one for a few years and it worked fine; cheaper and more around as well. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
Most of the used sCanoes I've seen have been for sale with a small outboard or electric motor. If you need a motor option, might want to consider a canoe with a motor bracket. I used one for a few years and it worked fine; cheaper and more around as well. Just my 2 1/2 cents.[/

46er,

Thank you for your 2 1/2 cents. I am considering that possibility, as long as it isn't aluminum. I should point out that one reason I like the square-stern is the better stability, or the illusion of it. We will have a passenger under 3' tall.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I like the square-stern is the better stability, or the illusion of it. We will have a passenger under 3' tall.

It's just an illusion :eek:

The Coleman has a flat bottom, which gives good intitial stability, but once it starts to go, it's gone. If it's a youngster thats under 3' tall, try to find something with good intitial and secondary stability. Its all in the design of the hull.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
It's just an illusion :eek:

The Coleman has a flat bottom, which gives good intitial stability, but once it starts to go, it's gone. If it's a youngster thats under 3' tall, try to find something with good intitial and secondary stability. Its all in the design of the hull.

Thanks for your input.
-n.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Purchased a 17ft Ram-x canoe a few years back from Mucksavage here on this site. For $200 I got the canoe, electric motor, paddles, cushions, life jackets, and seat backs. I think it was a great deal. My cousin and I purchased it together and he has it now since he lives within a few blocks of Cooper River and Newton Creek. We would probably sell it as I am in the market for a double kayak to take my son out on the little rivers of the Pines. Just the canoe would be for sale not the accesories. I believe the canoe is a Coleman, not the square back though.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
Purchased a 17ft Ram-x canoe a few years back from Mucksavage here on this site. For $200 I got the canoe, electric motor, paddles, cushions, life jackets, and seat backs. I think it was a great deal. My cousin and I purchased it together and he has it now since he lives within a few blocks of Cooper River and Newton Creek. We would probably sell it as I am in the market for a double kayak to take my son out on the little rivers of the Pines. Just the canoe would be for sale not the accesories. I believe the canoe is a Coleman, not the square back though.

Long-a-coming: What is yours made of? Thanks.