Washington Twp. cracks down on illegal ATV riders

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Signs are generally ignored and there are usually ways around the barriers. It's enforcement that resulted in 122 impounded vehicles.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is much easier to catch them in Camden than in the pines.

BTW, today there were a ton of Jeeps at Atsion, and as I expected some of them with snorkels were heading down Rockwood Road. That appears to be the new Quarter Mile.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is much easier to catch them in Camden than in the pines.

BTW, today there were a ton of Jeeps at Atsion, and as I expected some of them with snorkels were heading down Rockwood Road. That appears to be the new Quarter Mile.

Guy

Possibly, but that road has always been popular with wheelers. I spoke with an old piney once who told me he used to send wheelers down that road in the 70's just so his friend could make some $ pulling them out later LOL. Hopefully it doesn't become the new 1/4 mile.

Jeff

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Maybe the state should keep up their end of the bargain and build the off-road parks like they promised and legally were required to do.

Signs do nothing to people who don't respect the land and the law and anyone can just drive around a concrete barrier. The only people who get caught are newbies that stop. I'm not saying it's right or endorsing it but you are on an ATV (all terrain vehicle), it's meant to go anywhere, they can't catch you.

I solved my New Jersey riding issues by going to PA, DE and MD. I also have a trip booked for this upcoming fall in West Virginia.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
Other states

It's interesting when this problem comes up, you can always count on someone writing something like: "In (insert any state but NJ) they have places for people to ride so they don't destroy sensitive areas. When NJ fulfills it's promise to build the ATV parks the problem will stop".
This past weekend I visited Shenk's Ferry Wildflower Preserve in PA to photograph some early spring species. The area surrounding the preserve is torn all to Hell by ATV traffic, dirt bikes, and mudboggers. Right at the entrance to the preserve trail, a dirt bike had climbed a hill covered in emergent Dutchman's Britches and ripped up many of the plants. I talked to some volunteers who were doing trail maintenance and they said there were plenty of legal places to ride, but it's an ongoing problem with motorcycles and ATV tearing up trail in the clearly posted and gated preserve. The alternate access road to the preserve is no longer passable in a street car due to it being torn up by ORV's.