water proof camera

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I have been looking at cameras, there is so much to choose from and it is hard to know where to start. I do a lot of paddling and would realy like something waterproof. I also would like something with a lot of optical zoom, it seems that these features dont go together well. Any advice would be helpful.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Only waterproof cameras I have seen are the disposables.

I know they make bags that go over certain cameras to make them waterproof, but I think that's more for professional grade cameras.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We bought a waterproof 35mm point and shoot at work about ten years ago to take on canoe and kayak trips. I'm home now so I can't tell you the make and model, but I'd doubt it is still made with the market going digital. You might try E-bay.

The make water proof housings for many digital cameras but they are pretty expensive. I looked at one for my Nikon but it cost more than the camera! When I kayak I just keep my camera in a dry bag and am very careful when I take it out to shot.

Steve

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The make water proof housings for many digital cameras but they are pretty expensive.

I've never really looked at waterproof housings myself, but I suppose it depends on what you need and what you consider expensive. Obviously, something designed for scuba diving will be expensive but also overkill for kayaking. There are plenty of cases under $100, with a fair number in the $30 range. All depends on what kind of camera you have and what you need though...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=5237&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have a Nikonos II, a wide angle film camera that I had to over 100 feet. No housing required. Old teck but excellent. If anyone is interested please respond.
Ed