Waterfalls

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I have been photographing waterfalls in NJ the past couple months and was wondering if there are any in South Jersey.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Yeah Im shooting all natural....I heard about Tinton Falls but dont have too much info on it.

My company's corporate office is in Tinton Falls. Nothing but paperclips, computers, and office hens there. Down this-a-way, you could step over what passes for natural falls. Some make for fun in a canoe though.

G.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Taken from Wilkipedia:

Tinton Falls is a Borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 15,053.

The borough was named New Shrewsbury in 1950 after breaking off of Shrewsbury Township. It was renamed "Tinton Falls" in 1975. The name came from Lewis Morris's plantation, Tinton Manor, which employed free white workers and slaves. The borough is also home to the highest waterfall on New Jersey's coastal plain.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Even more interesting-taken from the town's website

"The village at Tinton Falls was first settled shortly after the 1665 issuance of the Monmouth Patent, probably by James Grover, one of the original patentees. Grover realized that the abundant local bog iron, combined with forests to supply wood for charcoal and the water power of the falls, added up to an opportunity for him. He and some unknown associates established an ironworks."

The weird thing is that you can't find a picture of anything resembling a waterfall except for what you see in the header on the webpage. That CAN'T be it, can it? I had no idea Tinton Falls was that rural however. Looks like a nice place, although I'm sure its expensive as hell to live there.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
had no idea Tinton Falls was that rural however. Looks like a nice place, although I'm sure its expensive as hell to live there.

It isn't that rural anymore, and depending on where you live it can be expensive or cheap. There are parts of Tinton Falls that you would not want to be in at night. They also have a huge dump that stinks up the parkway around mile marker 100.

As far as the falls go, it may be by the old grist mill (now a resteraunt) but I always thought they were man made.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I used to fish behind the old grist mill for trout. I grew up a couple towns over. Not much of a waterfall. The town is not rural by pine barrens standards.

Jeff

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
You need not worry yourself about finding the "Tinton Falls." If you compare the locations of the falls to historic maps, and really research it you will find that the reservoir in the northern section of Tinton Falls was actually made from the falls. The falls fed the reservoir until it filled up high enough that the water simply flows right in at the same level (give or take). Sorry, but you won't really get a good picture of that. Look at the Gordon map and compare it to modern USGS topo maps. Follow the natural streams, and long-time roads and you will see what I mean.

Scott W.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
No waterfalls there.

You need mountains for waterfalls. :) <SNIP>.

Sorry, Ben, NOT TRUE!

Granted, a waterfall cascading down a mountainside, like in Yosemite, or in Niagra, NY, is breathtaking and quite impressive, but the only geologic condition necessary for a waterfall is a geologic fault with a marked difference in height between the territory on either side of the fault. Of course, in order to have a waterfall, you will need "water" in the form of a stream or river that ran/runs perpendicular to the fault line(s).

Southern New Jersey is an alluvial plain created by the melting of the great, North American ice sheet, and the deposition of gravel and sand carried by the rush of water from the rapidly melting glacier.

Geologically speaking, northern New Jersey is much more interesting. The terminal moraine of the above--mentioned glacier is located behind (but on the premises of) Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, Morris County. It is easily identifiable from the road from Madison,through Florham Park, as one travels toward Columbia Tpk. It is located on part of the old Twombley Estate. Esso bought the estate, and sold the "upper half," with the mansion, orangerie, and some other buildings, which became the Florham--Madison Campus of F.D.U. Esso kept the "lower half," across the "Florham Park Road," and built a huge research center there (with a large, underground, computer centre, that used to run 7/24/365.).

A large portion of North Jersey underwent volcanic activity. The Watchung Mountains were the result. They are essentially "lava flows," which, in time, became tilted, thus forming the mountains. The "Palisades" with its six--sided basaltic prisms was, on the other hand, the result of a "volcanic intrusion" (between two geographic layers). Because the basalt cooled very slowly, large crystals were formed...

Now, if water were to run--off the edge of the Palisades, you'd have a waterfall... No "mountain building" needed! :jd:

This huge waterfall is in the Delaware Water Gap area:

63167050-M.jpg

Actually the fall is only about 3 foot high. :D

Steve

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Ok.......The falls are supposedly on Pine Brook at the intersection of Water Street and Tinton Avenue right in the village of Tinton Falls.