Webb's Mill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I saw that in April 46'r, when the Forked River Mountain coalition cleaned up that roof somebody kindly dropped off in the middle of the road. We could not fit anything else in the dumpster. That is a piece of junk. Its in the woods in that little cutout.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the beaver dam at Webb's Mill today and it is still open. There were some minor blockage from vegetation which I removed. I did not go to the boardwalk to see the level, but it was semi low at the dam.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I visited the beaver dam at Webb's Mill today and it is still open. There were some minor blockage from vegetation which I removed. I did not go to the boardwalk to see the level, but it was semi low at the dam.

Guy

Their still there, someone has been removing their stuff from the dam. Last time I was there the water was still high around the boardwalk. Tough little buggers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The dam really needs to be completely removed and the bottom of the stream cleaned. The water is flowing good but the level will never drop to previous levels because the dam area is higher than the bog.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The dam really needs to be completely removed and the bottom of the stream cleaned. The water is flowing good but the level will never drop to previous levels because the dam area is higher than the bog.

Guy

Yep, and therein lies the problem. One very LARGE firecracker would do the job, but..... :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Do we have any trappers on the forum?The state offers permit to trap beaver in season.That will solve your problem,get them out of there.You will never wear them out,as long as they are there they will win.I believe they actually enjoy the work.Remove the beavers and hopefully none will choose to build in that precise spot again.
Al

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
There is an organization in Newfield, NJ called Unexpected Wildlife Refuge. The last time that I was there, they had fantastic handouts on how to combat beaver den construction without firecrackers.... ;) The woman who used to run the place is Sarah Summerville......it's a cool area, nice trails and Sarah posesses a wealth of knowledge in dealing with beavers. I haven't been there in awhile which is a que that I need to return.

http://unexpectedwildliferefuge.org/

turtle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Turtle
I read both books about that refuge.one written by hope sawyer buyukumichi herself who lived there called "Unexpected Treasure" the other was written by a friend of hers called "Beaverspriete" forget the authors name.I've driven past there but never knew they took visitors.I New hope was still alive in the late 80's but she was pretty advanced then.I take it someone else owns it now?Is it open to walk in visitation?Perhaps they would be willing to take live trapped beavers or have techniques as you say to dissuade them from building.I don't know if you've ever been to Webbs Mills but it is or was a very special little habitat and though beaver ponds are beautiful too I much preferred it the way it was.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
after reading their solutions I don't think the bafflers will work where their dam is located.I think if you baffle their dam they will either move up or downstream and immediately build another dam.just my two cents,maybe their not really that smart?
Al