Website-History of Egg Harbor City (a must-read!)

B

BarryC

Renee sent me this: http://westjersey.org/ehc_cunz56/ngnj16.htm
This tells the history of Egg Harbor City up until 1956 when this was written.
The north part of the city was to center around old Gloucester Lake, which was the lake used for water power for the Gloucester Furnace, which had recently closed (at the time of the founding of EHC). This is very interesting, and goes along with some of the maps and aerial photos I posted on the last couple of pages of my gallery, (Barry C). Egg Harbor City never became anything approaching what was originally planned for it. Today it's a small city of less than 5000 people, with the northern two thirds of the city are mostly uninhabited Pine Barrens.
Included in this is the complete list of the 50 streets originally planned for the city, the streets parallell with the railroad and the Mullica River. Today only 8 of them exist, with the northernmost one being Dürer, except tiny, 2-block sections of 4 more, north of Dürer. As I've said before, Mapquest shows all of them, as if they are there now.
In Galloway Township, east of Egg Harbor City, there are extensions of some of the northern streets, even though they don't exist in EHC itself, streets such as Liebig, Pestalozzi, and Schiller.
Barry