Wednesday With Jessica

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

For various reasons I decided to take today off from work today, and before 8AM Jessica and I were heading out to accomplish a few things we wanted to do. Our first adventure was to find a camera GPS that one of our PBX members lost on our recent hike, but water in the road kept us 1 mile from where we wanted to be. I decided that this would take up too much of our day and bailed on it. So since we had not yet been to the new Black's Bridge we ventured there to check it out. On the way there we found this male who on various occasions held up his front legs to block the sun from his eyes. It was quite comical.

IMG_4346.JPG

Then to the bridge.

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

Along one of the roads.

IMG_4350.JPG

We then traveled down to the plains where we were able to meet freerider and his wife for the first time. It was unfortunate I was not able to help him, and disappointing we did not get to talk much. We will one day get that opportunity.

Next, we were in an area where bobpbx noticed on aerial maps that there was a building hidden in the woods, so we decided to pay it a visit. I should have waited for Bob but we were so close. Actually, we had to walk a mile each way because of water blocking the road.

Bob saw this on Bing.

bing.jpg

On the way there.

IMG_4358.JPG

Jessica with her short legs could not escape the water today. Fortunately, it was a warm day so she just plowed through overflowing her boots.

IMG_4362.JPG

Getting close.

IMG_4360.JPG

We arrived.

IMG_4364.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

IMG_4371.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

She almost took a dive on the way out.

IMG_4375.JPG

On our way back to the car Jennifer called from work asking for us to come get her. Today was a really bad allergy day for her. We had well over and hour ride to get her which took us down Route 70 in Marlton. I noticed that my car was jerking slightly, and by the time we were close to 73 I could not get the car above 35MPH. So we took a quick detour to my moms house and took off in her car for Jen. Forty five minutes later we were back and my car seemed fine, so we headed off for 295. Just before getting there it started to fail so I continued home taking back roads. Eventually, at a busy red light it died, and it was a few frustrating minutes before it started again, and off we went like nothing had happened. I went directly to an auto parts store and purchased what I thought it may be, and after replacing that and also the gas filter it seems like it is running fine. The gas filter was completely full of "mud" and I guess 120 thousand miles is a little too long to go without replacing it. It is under the car in a tight area and it was after 6PM tonight when I was finally able to eat and take a shower. I have sunburn and am quite tired from my relaxing day off from work.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We also had a few minutes to check on the Rattle Snakes, and either the log they were in has completely collapsed, or someone had destroyed it trying to get to them. I am hoping that nobody has taken them.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Beautiful outing Guy and Jess.
I really like that picture of the deer crossing the water.
I have been doing a lot of surveying fieldwork lately, which has been nice but today, I was stuck inside the office.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also checked out the beaver dam at Webbs Mill. Someone has opened it in two locations and the water is flowing well. But the level is still quite high, but not enough to go through the little pipe.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy. Glad your car seems to be runnning well now. Like Scott, I really like that pic of the deer. You might recall that I mentioned I had been to that structure in the past, a few years back. I recall that there was something to be seen along the right side in the back just outside of the building. Can't remember what it was now. There are other things in that area as well, an old garbage dump. Real old. I'll show you someday.

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy,
That log was just fine last november I believe it was when i was out there with Bob and it has been winter since then and they would not hibernate in that log and it is just now time for them to be coming out so if someone destroyed it it should be very recent for why would one go through the trouble in the winter unless they were dumb enough to think snakes would hibernate inside an aboveground log?
was it smashed or chopped through?Maybe we could replace the log with another hollow log? their scent is no doubt all over the other one so if you left that one there and layed another beside of it maybe they would use that one????
Al

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'm jealous of the relationship you share with your daughter, Guy. It's really great to see. My daughters are in their mid-teens, and I'm pretty sure if I was in the woods with them it would be because they planned to murder me.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm jealous of the relationship you share with your daughter, Guy. It's really great to see. My daughters are in their mid-teens, and I'm pretty sure if I was in the woods with them it would be because they planned to murder me.

Thanks Mark! I am surprised she still goes with me waiting to catch her in a photo falling in :)

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
IMG_4355.JPG

It is only damaged to the left of the hole.

Guy

Being no fan of snakes as you know, I still would not think that someone messed with that log.
I don't even know where it is. :)

Seriously, I think the recent harsh winter, deep snows, rain on top of the snow and the repeated freeze-thaw cycles would be enough to nearly obliterate that aged log.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

Mark, don't worry it will end. I was the same way with my parenst as well, so it's not just girls. Now me and my dad do everything togetehr, other than drink(he's diabetic). It will all come in time.

Guy, looks like guys had fun once again. I'd really like to meet up with you one of these days and get out.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really hope Scott is right and the weather did it.I think as long as the snakes are still there they will still use the log.it still appears to have hollow areas in it and their smell would still be there from last year.The last time i was there was at the end of snake season last yearand it was ok and now is kind of early for them to be out though not impossible.hopefully it was just a coyote that smelled snake on the log and was too stupid to know they were no longer there.I love coyotes too but they raise hell with snakes wherever they can find them.It's rough out there and snakes are slow and an easy meal,can't blame them but they still piss me off every time i find a den they been digging in.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report Guy. Glad your car seems to be runnning well now. Like Scott, I really like that pic of the deer. You might recall that I mentioned I had been to that structure in the past, a few years back. I recall that there was something to be seen along the right side in the back just outside of the building. Can't remember what it was now. There are other things in that area as well, an old garbage dump. Real old. I'll show you someday.

Jeff

Jeff,

It was the garage door nearby, and one other part of the building. The inside was full of deer prints so they visit it often. Yes, you did mention to me you had been there.

Guy