Wescoat almost wins

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I went looking for autumn color, and found little at the bogs yesterday. The board to cross over was down, so I slipped into the stream and walked in using a combination of bushwacking and stream wading as usual. Things went pretty well, but I was pretty far in and 20 minutes before sunset I decided to leave. About halfway there is a precarious area where I get into the stream, cross, and walk for a while on a path. Reversing my tracks to get out, I could not find the one area where the stream is a bit shallower and there is an opening in the wall of thorns and vines. The light was fading fast, so I thought "F it", crossed over and my thigh highs filled with water, but I managed to climb out, only to become entangled in barbed wire briar. I fought about two feet to the "trail", which was impassable. Fought to get my backpack off, clippers out, I started clipping briar, now a bit anxious as it was getting dark. After a couple of minutes, realized it was hopeless, and I was going to have to swim out. Got back into the stream, and began to wade. At the bend, I was dog paddling, trying to keep my Nikon and lenses high on my back. My Sony RX100 was now fully immersed, as was my GPS. Finally made it shallower water, and with completely filled waders, I must have weighed an extra 80 lbs. Was very glad to see the "take out" as I climbed out of the stream, found my car, stripped down to whitey tightey's and drove out of Wharton with headlights on, hoping the PP would not stop me as I was almost in me birthday suit. I am beginning to realize that I am not Shackleton Jr.
The last two shots were taken with my now croaked Sony RX100. RIP.
wescoat_sept2018_1.jpg

wescoat_sept2018_2.jpg

wescoat_sept2018_3.jpg

wescoat_sept2018_4.jpg

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

Bread crumbs for the way back? :( I can relate. Is a bit stressful not finding the way back you came in. Better the equipment than you though

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The last two shots were taken with my now croaked Sony RX100. RIP.

It may not be. My son dipped his 750 into the bay a couple weeks back and after taking proper care, turned it on a couple days ago and it works fine. Your in sweet water so should be salvageable if taken care of soon enough. Rice and a plastic bag is your friend.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think you may be right, it flickered and turned on an hour ago.

Don't turn it on or try to use it until the rice does its magic. Things could get fried. Remove the battery. My son left it on the rice bed for about 2-3 weeks after first giving it a quick dunk in fresh water. Check your lenses thoroughly.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
You might also try taking it apart as much as possible and then place it on your dashboard of your car when sunny. Acts like a mini oven, and I’ve had luck with this with some phones.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I have everything opened up, batteries removed, and laid out in my office with the ceiling fan on. As long as the A/C is on I think that may do it. The expensive stuff in my backpack seems to be okay so far. Good advice and thank you.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have everything opened up, batteries removed, and laid out in my office with the ceiling fan on. As long as the A/C is on I think that may do it.

There is humidity in the air, a fan just moves it around, ac just makes it cooler, neither removes it all; the rice in the bag removes it all. Just don't get the rice inside the camera, place the camera on top of a pile of rice in the bag and be patient and wait. Some folks use a desiccant. Other than having Sony tear it apart, $$$, it is the only simple way to get the insides, where all the electric stuff is, dry.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When Bob, Jessica and myself were there a month ago we had to wade across where the board was missing. Was not that bad but obviously the water level is up. Glad to see you made it out okay.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a canon power shot and an old flip phone that got wet. I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for a few minutes, and it worked. I just got lucky nothing was damaged by the heat I suppose.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The Oregon was designed to survive submersion in 1 meter of water for an hour IIRC. However, with an old model like that, the seals may not be so good anymore.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I had a canon power shot and an old flip phone that got wet.

The Oregon was designed to survive submersion in 1 meter of water for an hour IIRC.

The Oregon is a couple of years old, and it powered up but I am not taking any chances. I just ordered a LowePro Dryzone 200 waterproof backpack. Promo shows a guy under a waterfall in chest deep water, and a guy on a paddleboard in the tropics. In the future if I have any concerns about immersion I'll just put the pocket camera and electronics inside the bag with my Nikon and lenses.

T

Toothy Critter

those lightweight dry sacks work great, and when u trap air in them they can float

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I bought a couple of these for some camera gear for what turned out to be our wet boat trip to Machias Seal Island, inexpensive insurance but not suitable for full immersion.

A happy looking puffin. Thanks, but I need a backpack that I can hike with, takes my camera and 4 lenses plus tripod, and can be fully immersed. The LowePro looks like the real deal.

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
Most people don't realize Ansel Adams had a similar unfortunate excursion on his way to shoot Moon Over Half Dome. In fact many believe that the critical acclaim Adams received for his gradation of light and manipulation of exposure were actually the result of water-logged equipment. I now believe that Adams has been reincarnated in the Pine Barrens in the form of Jon Holcombe.