Wescoat Bogs Area Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We decided to cross Constable Bridge to get there because someone on Facebook was complaining that the bridge looks like Brooksbre with all of the paint on it. I really have to say it is not like that at all. Some paint but nothing like Brooksbre. On the way there we stopped at the Pleasant Mills graveyard to check on the Morning Glory and was glad we did. It really is growing well. As I mentioned before in my opinion it grows well there because it is mowed. It is interesting to note someone has roped off the plant in two areas and has placed signs there asking for it not to be mowed. I have to give it to them as it is a good idea. However, hopefully as the plant is winding down I hope they themselves mow it.

IMG_5003a.jpg

The road to Wescoat across Constable was dry all the way but as usual the sand it tough in spots. My car did fine until right after we passed Wescoat. Right at the edge of the major sand my vehicle stopped but with a quick backwards motion and then forward we were fine. It is obvious many vehicles have problems there. Our intention was to look for Morning Glory and again walk to the Mullica as we have done many times over the years.

The remains of the old bridge across the Sleepy Creek between Wescoat and the Mullica.

IMG_5021a.jpg

IMG_5015a.jpg

We again visited what most likely is the old dam mentioned in Heart of the Pines which we have discussed here years ago.

Heart of the Pines, page 30, 5th paragraph down:

"....Estell was given the rights to dam the Atsion ostensibly to build a sawmill, but his actual purpose is a mystery. Estell did build a mill after damming the Sleepy Creek , a tributary of the Atsion, several miles below the future site of the Atsion Forge

The water was flowing well over the remains today. Video to come soon.

IMG_3149a.jpg

Moving on to the Mullica I took an early morning shot with shadows to make this Then And Now photo. I will have to return in the middle of the day to make one without the shadow. This shows my 1973 Land Cruiser in 1978 at the Burlington County #60 monument at the Atlantic County line along the Mullica as well as one at the exact spot today.

Along Mullica Monument #60.jpg