Wescoat Bogs at Sunset

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Tuesday September 5. I found it challenging to get back out, with my backpack in the dim light, switching between walking the stream, climbing river banks, and pushing through briars.
wescoat_bogs2.jpg
wescoat_bogs1.jpg

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here's a few I took near sunset in October 2010, 6 years after all of the water control structures in the bog system blew out.
In 2004 Medford lost 17 dams and the impact of those same storms was very evident at Wescoat.
The amount of exposed, twisted cedar stumps and trees was fascinating.
img_0603.jpg
img_0606.jpg
img_0597.jpg

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PBX did a trip through Wescoat Bogs in Feb, 2002 on a trip led by Bob Bruneau. It is very grown up since then judging by Jon's photos.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I wonder what the bog looked like 40 years ago? The water moves at a brisk pace, and there are a lot of deciduous trees so I plan to revisit a few times during the next two months to photograph the color (that you captured). I am fascinated by the history of these areas, but I am always too busy planning my next area to visit to delve into it.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I wonder what the bog looked like 40 years ago? The water moves at a brisk pace, and there are a lot of deciduous trees so I plan to revisit a few times during the next two months to photograph the color (that you captured). I am fascinated by the history of these areas, but I am always too busy planning my next area to visit to delve into it.
I started duck hunting in that area around 1985 and most of the water control structures were intact back then. I too am fascinated by old bog systems and the field engineering and earthwork that went into constructing them.

Wescoat Bogs was a large operation at one time and believe it or not, it is still privately owned.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe
T

Toothy Critter

Again, Mr. Holcombe, I am in awe of your work with a camera. Your pics look like oil paintings!!!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Wescoat Bogs was a large operation at one time and believe it or not, it is still privately owned.
It never occurred to me to check Google maps to see if it was "grey or green". I did not notice if it was posted, as I almost always respect the property line. I guess I gave the owner a smoking gun if he wants to sign a trespassing complaint.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As I said I have been going back there over 32 years and have never seen a posted sign or a person waiting to throw me out.

Here's another anomaly in the middle of nowhere, without access and with a zip code in the negatives. $67.00 a year for taxes.
It is just south of Wescoat Bogs which can be seen above the balloon in this image.
Wescoat's owner pays $1,586 in taxes. Not bad for a big chunk of Heaven on Earth.
capelliCapture.JPG

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I see there are 3 privately "owned" rectangles in that general area, on they all appear to be virtually inaccessible. Perhaps the owners are holding out in the event the Pinelands National Reserve Act is overthrown and the swamp becomes prime real estate? Maybe for $67 a year, it's worth waiting a lifetime, then passing the land on to your heirs.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I see there are 3 privately "owned" rectangles in that general area, on they all appear to be virtually inaccessible. Perhaps the owners are holding out in the event the Pinelands National Reserve Act is overthrown and the swamp becomes prime real estate? Maybe for $67 a year, it's worth waiting a lifetime, then passing the land on to your heirs.

Capelli is the last holdout. The other rectangles are public. One is Mullica Township-owned.

Jon, try NJ Tax List Search.
http://njgin.state.nj.us/oit/gis/NJ_TaxListSearch/
Find your piece, click on it and voila !

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Those tracts date back before 1824. The Gayton Capelli lot was owned by William Richards and upon his death the executors (Samuel Richards, Thomas Richards, Jesse Richards, Benjamin Richards) sold the property to Elizabeth Thompson on 2/10/1824. The lot next to it was also sold on 1/19/1824 to Johnathan Haines.

I have visited all of the corners and have not found the stones there. They're may not have been any. However, the lots closer to Westcoat do have at least one stone.

IMG_4389a.jpg

IMG_4386a.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Those tracts date back before 1824. The Gayton Capelli lot was owned by William Richards and upon his death the executors (Samuel Richards, Thomas Richards, Jesse Richards, Benjamin Richards) sold the property to Elizabeth Thompson on 2/10/1824. The lot next to it was also sold on 1/19/1824 to Johnathan Haines.

It is amazing that you know the particulars, not just about this area but tracts throughout the Pinelands. The knowledge that you, Scott, Bob, Al, 46er, and the other great people on this site have is mind boggling. I wonder if William Richards had a house or cabin, and what that area looked like 200 years ago. Was it a swamp then? Why the tract was passed down, and never sold or gifted to the state, or township. When they bought it, did they live on it, farm it, trap it? I feel like I am just getting started on a journey through the woods at 63.

Reminds me of the new Loudon Wainwright III song:

I want a double lifetime, wanna start over
One lifetimes not enough I need another.
Spent 63 years on the practice run
Practice makes perfect I'm about half done.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx and John

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Back to the bogs at sunset, Tuesday evening. I am fairly deep in here, and I find myself scrambling to get out before darkness. I am getting more and more used to being out there in low light, but I admit it takes some getting used to. I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere, but what a wild and beautiful area.
wescoat_bogs_sept12.jpg

Last edited: