West Branch of the Wading River

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Has anyone kayaked the West Branch of the Wading River recently upstream from 563 to Chatsworth Lake, or downstream from Chatsworth Lake past the 563 bridge? I was wondering how passable the West Branch is especially with the restoration that's going on in the Franklin Parker preserve.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had recently thought of trying this very same section you speak of.As far as i know it has never been done and from birds eyeing it you can see some obvious bad patches but there are obvious open stretches.I think I'd try to catch the water up a little more then it is before trying it and instead of starting at 563 I'd drag my yak south into the preserve abd try to start a ways below the tracks .I recently seen the creek at the tracks and it looked iffy there.It opens up much better below the tracks.
Al

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
In a post dated April 4, 2002 Ed stated that he had made a trip by wooden canoe from Chatsworth Lake, starting at the West Branch of the Wading River, all the way down to Chips Folly and the Mullica River. There wasn't too much detail on his trip down. I think I'll explore the possibilities as soon as the weather cools off a bit. Thanks
Bruce

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
can you post the link to that?Hey Ed how was that trip?I didn't know it had been done.was it a bear or easy sailing?I've approached parts of the stream but never jumped in and floated it so have no idea how boatable most of it is though the sections I've seen are typical wading,beautiful!
Al

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It used to be our yearly trip back in the 70's. We did it with a heavy wooden canoe. I haven't done it since 75 or 76 and allot has changed since then. It was work, but not too bad, but then I was young and could do anything. Since then Demarco dug that canal just west of where the lake empties out to irrigate his bogs. Depending on what the Parker Preserve is doing with the canal it may divert allot of water from the river. The good news is you can go and check it out.
Another possible putin would be where the river crosses 563 upstream from Speedwell. That would be a nice trip through the old bogs if they didn't drain them too.

Ed

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I will put this on my to try list.I'll wait till the water is up but not in winter since I may be out of the boat a lot.Has anyone done it recently?Gabe?Jeff?looks doable on birds eye but patches cannot be seen well.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Please help me out with this, I'm looking at the satellite photos of the Wading River but getting lost in the bogs and reservoirs. I'm familiar with its course from Speedwell down, but can't figure out what it does above Speedwell. The west branch of the Wading River flows under 563 and connects to the east branch? - Where? Then the east branch flows around to Speedwell and then eventually to Chips Folly and the Mullica, right? Next question. The river that feeds Chatsworth Lake - is that also considered the Wading River? I tried Kayaking up that river once but ther's so much debris and downed trees I didn't get too far.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The west branch of the Wading River flows under 563 and connects to the east branch? - Where?

Here: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.65805846328016&lng=-74.52758073806763&z=17&type=h&gpx=

Then the east branch flows around to Speedwell and then eventually to Chips Folly and the Mullica, right?

It's the West Branch that runs through Speedwell. Chips Folly is on the Wading River proper, downstream from the confluence of the East and West branches.

Next question. The river that feeds Chatsworth Lake - is that also considered the Wading River?

Yes, or more specifically, the West Branch.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
"It's the West Branch that runs through Speedwell. Chips Folly is on the Wading River proper, downstream from the confluence of the East and West branches.

Thanks!

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Labor Day I put into the West Br of the Wading River at 563 and headed upstream.

labor day paddle 001.jpg

I saw several beaver and beaver lodges - had a big one splash right next to my kayak scaring the poo out of me
labor day paddle 002.jpg

Waterfall, but an easy portage around
labor day paddle 005.jpg

Saw this on the bank - too small to sleep in and nothing inside - anyone know what this is?
labor day paddle 008.jpg

labor day paddle 016.jpg

labor day paddle 017.jpg

The waterway had been cleared from RT 563 to the first cranberry bog in the Parker Preserve. After that, some major timber across the water and very difficult to portage. A NJCF trail ran along the river with some seats. The bog is just behind the seats
labor day paddle 010.jpg

Old bog in the Preserve - note the house in the far distance

labor day paddle 011.jpg

The paddle time was one and a half hours from 563 to the bog through a beautiful area. A rep from the NJCF told me they don't want anyone clearing the streams in the preserve, so it's going to be difficult to get any further upstream.

Attachments

• labor day paddle 004.jpg
    labor day paddle 004.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 318
  • labor day paddle 012.jpg
    labor day paddle 012.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: Teegate

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
[

The paddle time was one and a half hours from 563 to the bog through a beautiful area. A rep from the NJCF told me they don't want anyone clearing the streams in the preserve, so it's going to be difficult to get any further upstream.[/quote]

We have the right to navigate any navigable stream.Does that include the right to make it navigable?You could always accidentally slip while holding a bow saw???

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
It was interesting but what I really want to do is go downstream into the Parker Preserve on the other side of the Rt 563 bridge. That should lead into the reservoir and beyond in the preserve. From what I've seen hiking that area, the kayaking and fishing should be excellent. An official from the preserve told me that I couldn't get in from 563 in that direction (something about a dam that couldn't be portaged around). I'm a little concerned about paddling downstream and then not being able to paddle back upstream and getting stuck in the preserve with no way to get out with the kayak. Access to the reservoir from the gate entrance on 563 is a long hike if you're carrying a kayak even with my kayak caddy. I tried to get permission to bring my kayak in with my truck, but no dice. I then thought about hooking my kayak caddy to a bicycle and peddling in but I haven't gotten there yet.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Now, are there any good fish at the actual old bogs they have there? Or just in the Wading River you explored? It's odd because I did see vehicles back there upon my visit. Had to "step aside" with the baby in the stroller. There has to be some way for you to do it!! I will be heading back shortly because I missed an awful lot there at the Preserve. However, gorgeous.