Westminster

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Watched the sporting breeds just to see this years crop and hear the commentary, the sports are the only ones I'm interested in. Never cared for the 'one person judge' format.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It's ashame they are not judged to their origional intentions. A hearding dog should first be a good hearding dog, coat and build will follow. A retriver should retrive, a dachshund should be put to ground and a peekinese should mop floors.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I watched it, lots of great dogs. The outcome was dissapointing.
Yeah, the Pekinese was a major disappointment. I thought the Irish Setter, the Doberman, or the Shepherd were the obvious choices but, I like big outdoor type dogs. It's more fun to watch the jumpers and the Jacks crashing into the hole. I forget what it's called but it's so funny.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's ashame they are not judged to their origional intentions. A hearding dog should first be a good hearding dog, coat and build will follow. A retriver should retrive, a dachshund should be put to ground and a peekinese should mop floors.

Yep, a lot of good breeds have been destroyed and turned into show stars. Rarely see an Irish Setter or a Golden in the field nowadays. I had an Irish once, great dog, but she couldn't find a quail if I put it in her mouth. ESPN used to broadcast retriever and pointer field trials, but I guess the anti's got to them.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yeah, the Pekinese was a major disappointment. I thought the Irish Setter, the Doberman, or the Shepherd were the obvious choices but, I like big outdoor type dogs. It's more fun to watch the jumpers and the Jacks crashing into the hole. I forget what it's called but it's so funny.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier and we attended 10 trials last year. We did well in racing, lure coursing, agility. There is go to ground and rat hunt. These dogs are worked and are actually hunted in the field, racoon, fox, ground hog and badgers. Battle scars are considered a badge of honor. They have conformation also.
I have a race machine and run my dog and her friends in my back yard.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I have a Jack Russell Terrier and we attended 10 trials last year. We did well in racing, lure coursing, agility. There is go to ground and rat hunt. These dogs are worked and are actually hunted in the field, racoon, fox, ground hog and badgers. Battle scars are considered a badge of honor. They have conformation also.
I have a race machine and run my dog and her friends in my back yard.
I know a woman who had never owned a dog before and guess what she picked as her first dog? Yep, a Jack Russell. Unfortunately, as with way too many breeds, she didn't do her homework and ended up giving the dog away. They make great pets I'm sure, as long as they get to burn off energy.
I love Westminster just for the ability to see so many different breeds but watching trials is really great. I was telling a friend, some dogs should require a permit to own simply because of their requirements. If someone was willing to get a permit to own a certain breed (and I'm not talking simple dog tags but a one time breed knowledge permit) then the number of shelter dogs might just drop.
Nothing beats a great dog, except two great dogs.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nothing beats a great dog, except two great dogs.

True dat !

img_0800.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That was a memorable day Bob. The blindest of all blind retrieves.

We shot the goose on the way out of the woods from a coyotye hunt. We had no dogs with us at the time.
We switched over to steel and stalked a little stretch of the Mullica near Atsion where we heard a couple Canadas making racket. Hoping to get them to take to the air over a little spit of land, Mike got close enough to kill two as they took flight. Unfortunately, both dropped on an island and we could not recover them.

Back to the house to get the dogs and 45 minutes later Mike put Hank on the bank and pointed his hand over his snout and yelled, HANK !!
He swam a stretch, jumped on the island and grabbed the first goose. Murphy got the assist and swam side by side with Hank.
Hank dropped it at Mike's feet and looked up.
Mike put him back on the bank and pointed his snout to the island again and yelled HANK !!
Up on the island he went and he turned an looked back for direction. Mike gave him a point to the right and in few seconds he sniffed him out.

My sister had the picture enlarged and framed along with the one below and gave them to us for Christmas.

img_0802.jpg

Reactions: Gibby

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Okay, four great dogs.
I did learn the winner of Best in Show at Westminster is a rescue dog. Although I'm not a fan of the Pekingese, I am a big fan of rescues. If you are just looking for a pet...rescue. I think I'm preaching to the choir here. A good thing.
Thanks for the great pics.