Whales right off the shore at Seaside Park

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Friday morning I headed out to Seaside park before work to play some guitar on the board walk before the crowds came in. I was on a bench when I thought I saw a very large dolphin loop out of the water. I was confused because I knew something wasn't right. Then an approx. 50 foot whale breached the surface and came crashing down. I couldn't believe it!! I thought I was seeing things. it was only about 50 yards from the shore line. I asked people around me if they saw it and they all thought I was crazy.. Shortly after, everybody was freaking out 'cause there were four seperate whales breaching out of the water along the shore, real close, it was amazing. Everybody had their cameras and cel phones out. I had neither unfortunitly. It was very cool. One older cop there was telling me he had nver seen anything like it there, I heard the same thing from a lifetime seaside resident as well. It went on for a long time and I got a ticket for letting the meter run but I don't care. I am not sure what type of whale they were. The breaching was fast, though frequent, and then they were under again. I am thinking humpback. They were apparently feeding on mullet schools. It was surreal to see such mammoth animals so close to the shore.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
dragoncjo said:
That must be an incredible experience. I know a humpback was seen in the delaware bay a few months ago. Here is the link you might want to report that sighting to this website, https://www.njaudubon.org/Tools.Net/Sightings/NaturalHistory.aspx.
When I use to surf I saw lots of dolphin and even a shark, but no whales, that would be very weird to be paddling and have a 50 foot whale swim past!
Some of the life guards went out in kayaks and got real close!! Alot of boats were moving into the shore and you could really get a perspective on their size at that point!!

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Hey Woodjin thats awesome. The beach.. Now your speaking my language! I am an Avid saltwater fisherman. Saw some dolphins on the beach today really close. Was surf yakking. The whales were probably not eating mullet the water is still a bit cold and mullet havnt moved up from the south yet. Possibly the large bunker schools that have been out and about. Never seen a whale inshor. Last time I got on on film was on the BIG JAMAICA party boat...An 18 hour trip out of Brielle. ABout 70 miles out. Beautiful site there were a school of bottlenose all swimming around it and our boat. :)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
This is a paragraph from www.njaudubon.com, I found it interesting that whales are coming back to some of their historic fishing grounds. Seems like wildlife in new jersey is really starting to come back, a credit to how resilent animals are.
"A 40' HUMPBACK WHALE was in the Delaware Bay on April 9, 10, & 11, about 2 miles off Norburys Landing. It seemed healthy and was actively feeding in very shallow water. As it dove, waves of muddy water shot into the air! Historically whales were attracted to the fine fishing grounds in the Delaware Bay. Maybe weve come full circle!? "

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
4x4Jim said:
Hey Woodjin thats awesome. The beach.. Now your speaking my language! I am an Avid saltwater fisherman. Saw some dolphins on the beach today really close. Was surf yakking. The whales were probably not eating mullet the water is still a bit cold and mullet havnt moved up from the south yet. Possibly the large bunker schools that have been out and about. Never seen a whale inshor. Last time I got on on film was on the BIG JAMAICA party boat...An 18 hour trip out of Brielle. ABout 70 miles out. Beautiful site there were a school of bottlenose all swimming around it and our boat. :)

Bunker huh? okay. It was a seaside cop who suggested it was mullet. I tried to link an article but it didn't work. In the article the author notes cold water as being a factor, as you mentioned.

Jeff