Wharton/Atsion 2009 clean up?

Beaniam

Sep 28, 2009
Tabernacle, NJ
Am I right in thinking the clean up is October 25th this year? Haven't seen any info about it online so far and it's getting close.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Yes, yes, and yes! Clean up participants to meet at the Atsion Ranger Station at 9:30-ish. There will not be a large amount of door-prizes this year, but we will meet again afterwards in the picnic grove at Pic as a wonderful way to finish the day. Please all, don't hesitate to contact Mike at the above email or Terry at Wharton 561-0024 with questions. Please pass the word. We have a great time.....right Scott ? right George ?... Dave-mudboy you coming too?

October 25...Sunday

turtle

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Yes, yes, and yes! Clean up participants to meet at the Atsion Ranger Station at 9:30-ish. There will not be a large amount of door-prizes this year, but we will meet again afterwards in the picnic grove at Pic as a wonderful way to finish the day. Please all, don't hesitate to contact Mike at the above email or Terry at Wharton 561-0024 with questions. Please pass the word. We have a great time.....right Scott ? right George ?... Dave-mudboy you coming too?
October 25...Sunday
turtle

Everything looks good so far my dear.
The little devil of a truck remains somewhat intact. There is enough metal on the body left to carry a load. I will do my best to contribute to the door prize offerings again. Something very practical this year.
I still remember our very first meeting was tense. "Somebody" questioned my sincerity. Anywhoo, come out all, it's a cool gig.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

October 25...Sunday

turtle

The original RednekF350 mobile will be there.
Good times indeed and wings and frosty ones at the end is the capper.

We will have another new puppy with us this year. Sadly, we had to trade the old one in to the breeder becauses of some Kujo-like traits exhibited at the early age of seven months.
We are picking up the new one this weekend from a Pa. breeder with no known issues in the lines.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I still remember our very first meeting was tense. "Somebody" questioned my sincerity.
g.

Pretty early, even by my standards to be "fully loaded"......:rofl:
....might not be where we are now without lovely chance joining us in our festivities! You know that I truly admire you AND your sincerity? It will be my pleasure to see you again.....

turtle

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Pretty early, even by my standards to be "fully loaded"......:rofl:
....might not be where we are now without lovely chance joining us in our festivities! You know that I truly admire you AND your sincerity? It will be my pleasure to see you again.....
turtle

Well my Dumba** figured, if this thing is a cleanup then you get started early and come ready for bear. I'm one to get up and start early anyway, before daylight that day, hungover no less.
Felt a little foolish coming in with the truck sagging with crap and everyone else just hangin' out waiting to sign up. Not as if my S10 is cute to begin with.
I seem to recall when questioned as to the origins of said load that I would gladly take you back to see the rest of it to come. I still come with a starter load and look at us now. Luv ya kid!

g.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

October 25...Sunday

turtle

you know it. I'll be there with a bunch of others as well.

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
I think I can make it this year. Past two years had other commitments. I'm sure my wife will come too. Its a good time, good folks and a good cause!! George, its great to see that your S-10 will make it too. Great little trucks. It took a woman running a stop sign to finally put mine out of commission, years ago.

niceguysanti

Aug 23, 2009
As of now I have 10 rigs coming with me from FJNortheasters.org

I will be pulling a trailer to haul out stuff.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Goshen Pond

my son and i are camping at Goshen Pond on the nite of the 24th if anyone is interested in joining use. the cleanup is still on, right?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The bride and I just got back in from a great day in the woods and once again, as a motivated group, we have made a tremendous improvement in the appearance of Wharton.
Thanks to Turtle from this site, Mike Tarsia and all the other Jeepers and Jeep clubs for keeping this together for 8 years.

Largo and Pine Baron from this and me and site pal'd around all day in the Pestletown and Burnt Mill area and hauled at least a ton and a half of sh t out the woods.
There were only two 30 yd. dumpsters provided this year, which unfortunately, wasn't quite enough for all of the trash.

I am posting a picture of me standing next to a slightly disturbing find we had at the intersection of Wharton Ave and Porter Ave. down here in Pestletown.
It is the top of half of a headstone from a Jewish person that is in relatively good condition.
This appeared just during this past week.
I have it in the back of my truck right now and I am going to attempt to find out if there have been any recent desacrations at a Jewish cemetery or any other cemetery for that matter.
It can be reattached, as it is the top ornamentation from a full headstone.
It weighs about 150 lbs.
If anyone has any ideas let me know.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/12805

Other than that, we had a great time and enjoyed some frosty micros woodside along the way and inhaled the wings at the Pic.
Victory Festbier, Sam Adams Oktober and Beck's Oktober on tap at the Pic outside made it even better.

We made a new friend with Pine Baron who is out of the same mold as me, a back woods hunter with a hollow leg.
:)

We ended the perfect night with Turtle and her husband and a few glasses of vino on the tailgate.

Good times indeed.

Scott

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
What a great day to spend in the woods. Just to support what RedneckF350 posted, a great time was had by our little group. Meeting Scott and his lovely bride for the first time was an extreme pleasure. Two of the nicest people I've ever met. That we all care for the same patch of creation is the bonus.

Riding along in his timeless S-10, Mr Largo and I had a full day of awesome conversation ranging from the woods and it's histories, to folks we know, to our children and their schools, but rarely trash. We just stopped when we needed to and carried on our talk.

Discovering that these folks share many of the same haunts as I do was great. So, working together to clean them up was special. It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to able to give a little back to the forest that gives us so much pleasure. Being able to drive or hike down a clean, sandy stretch and say to yourself, "yeah, I did that." It's a good feeling. I'm sorry for those who couldn't make it on Sunday, you really missed out on a great day.

Mike Tarsia and Turtle did a fantastic job putting this thing together. They said they had a record turn-out. The after-party at the Pic was good and the wings were top-notch as usual. Being a domestic man, I was introduced to a couple micro brews by the micro-master himself. I have a feeling that Victory Festbier will be entertaining my palate in the near future. :guinness:

All in all, it was great day shared with some truly awesome people.

Good times indeed!

John-

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
Not normally so late to respond but last night after all the goings on I came home (a little lit) and wound up helping my daughter wrap up a science project. Once I sat down, I was done for this machine. Now...
I will echo and re-echo the sentiments of Scott & John. It was a great day with a record turnout! Mike T. did good and Terry, well, there ain't no better folk in the big woods. I started the day early on with some bags of shingles, a few cans of nasty old paint and... a boat. already precut into sections suitable for S-10 loading. On arriving, I soon after saw the Baron. The sign up was long as the crowd was large. Scott, Dottie, and their latest pooch arrived on the scene shortly thereafter. It is sad that many all here didn't make it but in a way we won out. Baron rode with me
(no small task for a guy about 7'2" to fit into a 1983 S10 cab) he's a good sport though. Man, we laughed and talked(chances are me a lot, I ramble on)
and found so much common ground it weren't funny. The small clan of the four of us made for good palaver, fun times, and bonding. Seems Scott and the Baron hunt a lot of the same lands. Dottie is ruthless in cleaning. I find the small stuff a pain but she doggedly ranges up and back filling bags with the same intensity one would load a concrete foundation with. No stranger to work. The F350 man came through with tasty beers again with samples fit for different palates. Since none of us are beer snobs, I can take a strange brew from him without scoffing. He brought good stuff. There were some oddities along the way. The Jewish stone is perplexing(slightly vexing actually). I know Scott may have mentioned a news piece of recent regarding an incident and so did my mother inlaw. I will bet there is one man here that can pinpoint where some cemetary vandalism of late was done and perhaps put this stone back to home.
I actually got hung up for the first time ever this year. no biggie, just planted the rear nice as could be on a rut while I was yackin' to the wife on the phone. Took the wrong side of a puddle. took about 3 seconds of Scott, the F350, and a strap to undo the situation. Back at the PIC there was a band, and booze of variety, and wings abatch. there was a Harley ride of some sort there so the numbers of folk were huge!
Beers with the Smith's, and the Baron, and wine with The grandest lady of the pines and her hubby off the tailgate of a truck topped off a good day.
True Pines hangin' out. Ya'll were the best!
And Terry, Uncle Otto's Truck brought tears to my eyes damn you!
Some memories
First load, just a boat, precut
0034.JPG

The Jewish Monument
0058.JPG

0064.JPG

Here was a big old load of carpet Scott found. Out in that hot sun, as we drug it all up and all the little lizards and snakes slithered and slunk away from it I thought "what a shame we're disturbing this perfect habitat that some kind dumper gave to these needful herps" Oh well, life goes on. Let 'em find an old rotted stump or somethin'.
0096.JPG

The Baron never stopped, the large and the small, he took it all.
0114.JPG

A little shot of the Beeeeyooteeful F350 and the big man way ahead of us. Almost lost 'im once or twice.
0145.JPG

Back at the PIC, how does one deny a face like this...
0166.JPG

It was so cute later when the little dude fell asleep right in Scott's arms before we left. I think I almost crushed him in a man hug attempt when we left. (I caught myself though Scott so your dignity is safe)
A better look at the Smith's new RVM pup (Reduced Violence Model)
0184.JPG

Only a true Pine Barrens hang would not only offer up a bonfire, but one including a standing, living tree in the yard...
0214.JPG

GOTTA LOVE IT!!! They built a bonfire around the tree and let it cook down with the fire.
Well, on that note, we hung for a bit with the very cool TURTLE clan, and made off for home. Thank my stars Pestletown is but 10 minutes away on a pretty straight run.
Fantastic day all. A great cleanup and the very good company of three great folk, and a pooch.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The jewish marker

Not to hijack the thread but I have a coworker who is on the board of directors on the RODEF SHOLOM cemetary in EHT
(As if I know what that really means) He said they got hit a couple years back. I sent him the pic tonight and he said it is actually or most likely the corner marker for a Jewish family plot. He is asking his board president if it is familiar looking or what he's heard of any late incidents. Not to be a profiling sort, but perhaps in a speaking network, some of those fellas might know of something. We shall see. It would be nice if it found it's way back home. It is at least safe where it is now.

g.

(I didn't hit any button to bring up "Monmouth" so I don't know why it's there)

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
Looks like everyone had a good time. I decided that trying to keep pace with my homework had to take priority again this year, so I didn't make it. I would have had much more fun hauling trash, than doing physics. Hope the star makes it back to where it belongs.