Wharton Cleanup 2006: What a Day!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Beautiful day in the pines and the woods is saying thank you!
(2) 30 yard dumpsters are full and a hundred or so tires are out of the woods
I got to meet PBX Bob and what an admirable man he is. He worked his butt off with his truck in an area of the pines he really doesn't frequent.
He thoroughly enjoys a cold one , which puts him at the top of my "A" list too.
My wife and I will return the favor next spring at the FRM cleanup.
Banjo, his wife Joanne, Largo (George) from this site, PBX Bob and a good friend of mine, Rob Warner, worked in our gang.
If anyone questions the ability of a 2WD S-10, talk to George, he is the man.
We had a good time together in the Pestletown area and we moved about (8) full pickup loads of crap out of the woods off Chew Road and along the Jersey Central tracks leading towards Elm.
We ran into Tom (Long-a coming) at the Pic afterwards.
Here are some pics from today:
See my Gallery the links are bad.

Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's. Rob looks like he is having a good time :)

Thanks for posting.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
A good time for certain!! This year I took more time to travel with a crew and it paid off. Scott continues to be the motivator. Meeting Banjo and Joanne was a pleasant surpirise. Good folk!! ( and anyone who wears Tie-Dye is a good man in my book ) I as well was very pleased to make BobPBX's aquaintence.
Just a realy nice fellow. After learning so much from his posts and the results of his trips, it was nice to share with him a little about out our way. Our little group diversionary walk on the rail trestle was a nice break. He and his truck certainly earned the right yesterday to come back and see more of the area, which I hope he will. Scott's friend Rob is for sure a character.
Good to meet Long-A-Coming finally.
This year did in fact work the S10 but the old girl showed true. Got in some good loads. I am sorry my Kiddies could only make one last short run but they liked the ride and seeing how much trash really gets picked up. Back at the pic it was a good gathering ( And Remington, Scott & Dott's dog was doing his best to sneak a wing or two but his scheme kept getting foiled! )
In talking to Mike T., the event organizer you can really see that he loves our woods and believes in this event. He can't appear more thankful for even just the slightest efforts of anyone. Terry from the state really works to pull this thing together as well. There is a real sense of accomplishment at the end of this and you see it on many faces at the end of the day.
And again, thanks to Ben for giving this issue an audience on the site.

G.

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
Personally this was my favorite cleanup..not for the amount hauled out but for the comeraderie , work ethic and all the people who put in the extra yard by donating gifts and monies to the cause..This year truly had a down home family feel. Seeing Norm's son who came to the first cleanup as an 18 month old running around and helping out and all the other young kids who pitched in gave me that warm fuzzy feeing..in 15 years i am sure they will be leading the cleanup

THANKS AGAIN..George great talking to you!

ps great website here!

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I planned on being part of that Pestletown crew and it looks like I missed a great day with all of you gentlemen. My cousin and I did have a productive day in the Carranza, Friendship, Harrisville, and Hawkins Bridge areas. My cousin was an hour late in getting to my house in his Jeep that's why I missed Scott and his crew (the early birds). We also cleaned up the really nice beach area "High Bank" w/ Terry, her husband and another couple. Terry's dog took a dip in the Oswego I was jealous. I finally got to meet George and my deadhead buddy Bob at the Pic and that was cool. Yellowdog(Mike) I salute you for your passion about this event you're the man!
I probably personally disposed of 75 dirty diapers mostly along riverbanks!!! What the hell?!?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the kind words Scott and George. I am really happy to meet people like you that know and care about their communities and relish the historical and natural aspects. I hope in the future events like these are held in a "ring" around the pines, not just Atsion and Forked River. We need them at Whiting, 4 mile circle, Hampton Lakes, Batsto, New Gretna, Manahawkin, and Tuckerton too.

On the way home I found where a guy unloaded his entire living room not 1 mile from my house. It had to happen that night, no other tracks.

The offenders are not hunters, nor 4-wheelers, nor motorcyclists/atv'rs. The offenders are homeowners, contractors, and small businesses. I am positive. We need to ask for more fines and enforcement.

Nice meeting you too Tom...........bob

PS: Rob reminds me of Gabby Hayes. A guy I would take on a long trip. A great sidekick, friend, helper, and protector. I like him a lot.

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for the kind words Scott and George. I am really happy to meet people like you that know and care about their communities and relish the historical and natural aspects. I hope in the future events like these are held in a "ring" around the pines, not just Atsion and Forked River. We need them at Whiting, 4 mile circle, Hampton Lakes, Batsto, New Gretna, Manahawking, and Tuckerton too.

On the way home I found where a guy unloaded his entire living room not 1 mile from my house. It had to happen that night, no other tracks.

The offenders are not hunters, nor 4-wheelers, nor motorcyclists/atv'rs. The offenders are homeowners, contractors, and small businesses. I am positive. We need to ask for more fines and enforcement.

Nice meeting you too Tom...........bob

PS: Rob reminds me of Gabby Hayes. A guy I would take on a long trip. A great sidekick, friend, helper, and protector. I like him a lot.
agree 100%

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

Bob,
That is a great assessment of Rob's character.
I have known Rob about 15 years and count him as one of my best friends.
He is the guy who is always there to help and will give you every thing he has to make the job easier.
At Square Circle Sportsmen, a 700+/- member club of which Rob and I are members, Rob and his father volunteer at each and every work day we have, even though you are only required to make two per year.
Rob doesn't have a computer so I will give him copies of these threads.
Thanks Bob.
Scott

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
Hi all, Joann and I had a great time this past weekend. Joann says that everyone can come over this weekend and help clean our condo. lol. Seriously though, she says hello, and enjoyed meeting everyone. It's truly a pleasure meeting the folks who post on this site. I wish I had taken my camera, although I still havn't worked on the shots I took at Harrisville. I have some more shots from there I want to post, but they need to be edited a bit. It's only been what a year and a half since we went there?

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Great job...That's a long bed first generation S-10, the best kind. Mine has 299,000 miles on it and still pulls like a mule but the 3.4L crate motor helps alot. After 193269 miles the old 2.8 died... The long bed rides better too!

Looks like l that weight kept the traction too!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Great job...That's a long bed first generation S-10, the best kind. Mine has 299,000 miles on it and still pulls like a mule but the 3.4L crate motor helps alot. After 193269 miles the old 2.8 died... The long bed rides better too!Looks like l that weight kept the traction too!

'82 V6 4-SPEED MANUAL. Guts beyond belief. has hauled many a load, pulled many a trailor and with a Cheesy set of homemade racks... has gotten my canoe & I to many a start. That day I think the truck was doing better than me. I was feeling rode hard & put up wet! Looked it too as I can see. She pulled some crazy items. My dad & I share the truck and we have done a lot of repairs other than the drive train over even though she's only got 83,000 on her. Like I told the group that day, I baby her, don't it show. I would love to prove her at the Forked River cleanup but I am not sure as yet that I want to log the miles to get there. I try to keep 'em down don'tcha know. Problem with that year is GM was still using crap metal and the body is shot. As Bob,Scott, and Banjo can attest... I would have loved to have found a truck bed during the cleanup.. my tailgate, well.. I am never sure if it is actually going to make it home with me.

G.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I have about 1/2 of the metal I need to 'catch up' to the rust. It's my favorite canoe hauler & the crate motor adds some guts too...It still gets better mileage, on high test, than my '93 Jimmy 4.3 4x4...