Wharton SF this weekend April 5 & 6

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
This is just a heads out for anyone that is visiting Wharton this weekend...

There is a Horse Endurance ride taking place, it is not a speed event, the endurance part is because of distance travailed..

There will be 60 to 75 participants involved on both days, from about 7 a.m. to 2 on Sat and 5 on Sun.

The basic area they will be in is all east of Quaker Bridge to and across Rt 563. As far north as Caranzza Mem to as far south as the Gun Club down the street from the Greenbank Inn. Be careful and courteous out there... They will only be on the roads and jeep trails that show on the 24,000 series topo maps.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I had a horse growing up. I have always thought that would be a very rewarding way to travel the pines. I'll have to try it someday. I know Ed does some of that and sees a great deal of wildlife.

Jeff

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Thanks for the heads up. Keep your head down while you're out there this weekend. :)

the format they use is 3 different loops back to the start, the longest approx 22 miles shortest is 12, the ride is considered "appropriate for new riders and riders with new horses" after each loop when making it back to the start location the riders are required to feed, water and allow their horse to rest for a minimum of 1/2 hour, then have the horse checked out by a vet there on staff before they are allowed to continue on.

Myself and a few other guys from my and 3 other enduro clubs are part of the event staff, we are pre-riding the course to ensure all the directional markers are still in place, helping with some logistical necessities and sweeping and removing the markers after the event on Sunday... to allow the promoters to enjoy and mingle with the others instead of working all day.

Cooperation between different users of the forest :)... If I was a member on this site before I arraigned this with the event promoters, I would have asked for volunteers here also, as there are some things I agreed to handle for them such as setting up water stations along the trail... They were prohibited from allowing to let the horses to drink from the river at Hawkins Bridge this year.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I encourage people to post upcoming events and stuff here. You can also submit things to the site calendar which then just requires me to moderate them, but it shows up at the bottom of the page when the event is happening less than 30 days out. (The FRM cleanup shows up now.)

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Sounds like a great event MP. It's good to see horses in the pines occasionally. Almost like a step back in time. Why aren't they allowed to water at Hawkins Bridge? I guess if a large number of them water, there will be a pretty large amount of processed hay eh?
Have fun and stay safe.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Sounds like a great event MP. It's good to see horses in the pines occasionally. Almost like a step back in time. Why aren't they allowed to water at Hawkins Bridge? I guess if a large number of them water, there will be a pretty large amount of processed hay eh?
Have fun and stay safe.

They were worried about the erosion of the bank, the same one that canoes and kayaks are drug up and down 200 times a day, 5/6 months of the years and all the canoe rental trucks