Wharton State Forest Fire - Jackson Rd, Shamong - 250 Acres So Far

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Update:

I took a ride back towards the area as they didn't have all the roads blocked off. As of 6:30 PM, the fire was still burning, heading away from Jackson Rd. up the Mullica River towards Goshen (Goshen is a guestimate, just for directional purposes). One of my neighbors was out there (in Forest Fire Service) and told me the details. Looks like it wasn't an accident and it was actually started sometime last night. He said the Forest Fire Service was out there since 5:45 am this morning.

I still don't have any true location details but I'll tell you what. This whole half of Shamong smells like campfire.

Justin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Justin,

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Unaware of the fire today at 4:30 pm I nearly drove right into a back fire on Jackson road during my lunch break. I later got all the info on the news. What a shame, but at the same time, nothing new. Fire and the barrens have always been symbiotic. The implication of arson however is entirely unnatural and disturbing.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ah, so that's what was going on last night. I was coming home on Jackson Rd around 8pm or so, and the police had the road blocked off at the Atco Speedway so I had to turn around. I ended up taking Medford Rd through the woods until it become Jackson Road in Medford...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We took a ride today to check out the fire off of Jackson road, and took a few photo's of the area along the Mullica. I was told by a man there it was the backfire.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/349-1/IMG_5362.jpg

He told us that the hotter area was farther ahead, and we decided to drive down old Atsion Road where we promptly got stuck in the sand. But practice makes perfect and within 5 minutes we were out. We drove around and never did find the actual location the man mentioned.

Guy