Wharton Wet And Wild

Oct 25, 2006
All

On Saturday i wanted after all the rain to go to places in Wharton, Monument hunting was my first order of things, due to the rain my friend George and i almost decided to cancel the Wharton trip, we were going to go to Howardsville instead, another place that i have yet to visit.

I picked him up at 9:00 A.M. and said let's check out the road south of Atsion which i needed to use to get to my first objective, on the live maps it shows the road to be lake filled washouts, as soon as i entered said road off of Rt.206 the puddles were there halfway stretching across the road, i drove the Jeep as far as i could but then this stopped me, even the go around was deep and rutted.
IMG_1047.JPG

Parking the Jeep, we then had a less than half a mile trudge through numerous washouts going through the woods most of the times, chest waders would have been more appropriate than knee high boots. We then reached what was a very sugar sand area where we would have parked if not for the huge washouts. This is the point where we needed to go on a southern trek to reach my first objective, Monument #64, in the area is a Burlington-Atlantic County Monument plus a Township Monument.

Before crossing a Savannah, which is the first time that i have ever tried that, i took the following pic of the road past the parking spot, this washout went on for about two hundred yards or more. Just looking at it you can tell it is real deep.
IMG_1048.JPG

On the way to the Savannah crossing point we found this Stone, it was the only one in the area, is it Sandstone ? or Bog Ore ?
IMG_1049.JPG

Now it was time to cross the Savannah, i asked Guy the night before about the water in there, he said it was on the dry side, but due to the rains i might need more than knee high boots,, a view of the Savannah, just from looking from the North side over to the South side i thought that the crossing over to the Monuments might have to wait another day, i did not bring along my chest waders.
IMG_1050.JPG

Time now to give the crossing a try, we are here and if possible maybe we can make it across. I told George that i as usual will be the point man, almost immediately the water was two inches below the top of my knee highs, the water did not get any deeper as i was using the Reeds to prop me up higher, when almost reaching the Southern side i took this pic of a Flower whose name that i do not know.
IMG_1051.JPG

Upon reaching the Southern side, i took another pic of this patch of Pink Flowers, these Flowers were abundant all over the area, once again i do not know their name.
IMG_1052.JPG

Oh yes, halfway through the Savannah crossing George decided to turn back, coming this far i was ready to let my boots get innundated with water to get to my objective, persistance was my reward, i then started on my journey to the Monuments, on the way i took this pic of a White Flower, name once again is beyond my knowledge.
IMG_1053.JPG

Then after a trek of about .16 of a mile through wet foliage i found the Burlington/Atlantic County Monument, notice the date 1935 on it.
IMG_1054.JPG

When discussing with Guy that i would like to view this Monument after looking on the live maps, he gave me the precise GPS coordinates, my yellow E-trex was only 13 feet off, i also found about fifteen feet away the Township Monument which Guy advised me of.
IMG_1055.JPG

Quest accomplished i now set my E-Trex for a return trip to the Savannah crossing point, amazingly at the Monuments i shouted to George that i was on my way back, he did hear me but he could not understand. Arriving at the crossing point i took another pic of a cluster of these Flowers.
IMG_1056.JPG

We then started our way back to the Jeep, we noticed a cleared out roaded area that looks like a Bulldozer had cleared who knows when then i took the following pic of our new walking sticks, nothing like the Wife wanting to discard two old brooms, this is the first time that we have ever used a walking stick.
IMG_1057.JPG

Arriving back at the Jeep i took the following pic of George navigating the washout, yea easy compared to the Savanna.:dance:
IMG_1058.JPG

By the way, before leaving the area George found a fairly new set of Ford car keys, there was a metal plate on the ring with an American Eagle embossed on it, anyone lose them give me a PM.

Leaving the area we then traveled to Rockwood to view a Monument there that we missed on our last trip, thanks to Guy, we found it immediately, the road was not as bad that i thought that it would be after the recent rains. The designation on the plate is NJ 301 H.
IMG_1059.JPG

Now a pic of a Rockwood Bog with some real nice Flowers floating on the water. The water from the Bog was overflowing it's banks.
IMG_1060.JPG

Now it was time to go looking for two other Monuments #29 and #35, taking Rt.206 to Columbia Road to Richards Ave, George noticed the following concrete structure sitting in the creek at a Bridge that we crossed over on Richards Ave. I have no idea what it is.
IMG_1061.JPG

We then started our search for Monument #29, we turned onto a sand road which had some washouts but it was not that bad, we traveled West to where #29 is located but after a half hour search we did not find it, on the Live Maps this road narrows down from an unimproved road to a Jeep trail but my Jeep narrowly fit through without a scratch, oh yes, George found another set of Ford car keys, this set looked about a year old or more, like before if anyone lost them give me a PM, this set by the looks of them were owned by a very religious person for a hint.

Upon leaving the area we had plenty of time to spare, it was 2:30 P.M., we were not due at our friends house in Tabernacle until 5:00 P.M., so i decided to show George St.Anthony's Cemetery in Pestleton, the second e in cemetery is an e not an a:dance:, after a short visit and with time still on our hands we decided to try to look for Monument #35 around the Swamp Monster, and West Mills Road was right there at Rt.206 and Rt.536, i knew West Mills Road was going to be in worst shape that the last time that we were there with Ed, but exploring was the name of the game.

Upon entering West Mills Road i was not wrong on my assumption, but onward ho, we after going through the numerous wider and deeper washouts than last time went on to where the road intersects with the road to the Swamp Monster, going North i drove as far as i could, but the washouts then got trench like, we then proceeded to where #35 should be but once again after a half hour search we did not find it. The road that #35 should be located at was one of the worst concerning huge washouts that i have ever seen, but there were huge tire tracks, and they looked fresh went through all of the washouts, i then took my last pic of the day of the following flower, again i do not know it's name. Oh yes, we also traveled to the South side of Bloody Bridge.
IMG_1064.JPG

It was now time to end our exploring part of the day, the pedometer read over 5 miles, we were tired, exhausted, and today my back is killing me, in retrospect, we then went over our friends house for refreshments, we got home at 11:00 P.M., i crossed my first Savannah, the morning rated the best when it was 59 degrees, when the Sun came out later it got hot, humid, Mosquitoes were about, Gnats, and those damn Pine Flies, we did not get bit, but they were buzzing, all in all, another awesome day in the Pines, but i am paying for it today.

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow! A jam packed day with great photo's also.

That savannah looks nice in the summer. I will have to visit it one day again. Sorry about not finding the two monuments. I was told the one was not there but there always was a chance. You put that to rest.

Nice post jim!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks men. Some questions for Guy.

Where the concrete abutments or whatever they were in the Creek on Richards Ave., could that be the old Bridge abutments ?

I meant to take pics at #29 and #35 Monuments but the Sun came out and it really got muggy, we wanted to return to my air conditioned Jeep ASAP, but at both Monument sites for your info the topography was flat, barren, no brush, no briers, etc.

At #29, there was a small stream to me what could be the Township Line, the GPS said though that the location was 30 feet further to the North.

At #35, once again the topography was barren, there was a path leading to the road where the GPS said that #39 should be, we checked the path including the road area and no find, also at both Monument sites no holes were found where the Monuments might have been.

Also what is that stone object at the parking spot on the way to the #64 Monument, Property Marker perhaps, or just Sandstone or Bog Ore ?

Also at the #29 Monument site, we found an ample suppy of sample liquor bottles that you can buy at a Liquor Store, Crown Royal, Sambucca, looks like that remote place is a favored party spot, maybe that is why the Monument is no longer there.

Jim

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Jim, The picture of George in the washout looks like he's hoping for one of those lo and behold moments!

Oct 25, 2006
Jim, The picture of George in the washout looks like he's hoping for one of those lo and behold moments!

He was well lo and behold (hangover) when i picked him up in the morning from a bout with his cousins Biermeister Friday night, he got very low and behold (Feeling No Pain) when we left our friends house in Tabernacle Saturday night after the trip.

He slept the 27 miles on the way home to his place, the radio was blasting (I Was Bored), when we arrived at his house i woke him up and he acted like nothing had happened. Nothing like going from a Coors Light Hangover to a Budweiser hangover.

I do the driving so i know when to stop, don't need John Law terminating my Pine Barrens trips.

Jim

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I get a kick out of George. I remember him telling me about a couple guys getting into a nasty fight over there in Philly...and then George says to me..."why can't people leave each other alone?". I second that, and that saying has stuck with me for a long time. Simply said and true.

Oct 25, 2006
I get a kick out of George. I remember him telling me about a couple guys getting into a nasty fight over there in Philly...and then George says to me..."why can't people leave each other alone?". I second that, and that saying has stuck with me for a long time. Simply said and true.

I have only known George for 10 years, he is a true friend, he will do anything for anybody, he can fix a car no problem, do handy work, no problem, and he's got my back, he's street smart, now if i only can get him to go into those Savannahs.:dance:

Jim

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Nice report Jim, and I like the walking sticks. Did you ever get tow hooks for your jeep?
Where is bloddy bridge and do you know the origin of it's name?

Ed

Oct 25, 2006
Nice report Jim, and I like the walking sticks. Did you ever get tow hooks for your jeep?
Where is bloddy bridge and do you know the origin of it's name?

Ed[/QUOTE

Thanks Ed, yeah the walking sticks were cheap, George and i were getting frustrated looking for the wood variety in the Pines, everything that we touched went snap, crackle, pop.

The Bridge is the plank Bridge over the Nescohague that we visited on the trip with you, history is beyond my knowledge.

Tow hooks are still not in the Wife's budget yet.

Jim

Oct 25, 2006
I forgot to add this in my trip report but while exploring the sights in Pestleton we came upon a place called the Miniature Donkey Farm, anyone have any info on that ? Is it open to the Public ?

Jim

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I forgot to add this in my trip report but while exploring the sights in Pestleton we came upon a place called the Miniature Donkey Farm, anyone have any info on that ? Is it open to the Public ?

Jim

Jim,
I don't think he is regularly open to the public.
He owns a printing company in Berlin and has the donkeys as a hobby.
They may however be for sale since I have given a few lost souls directions to the palce who had mistakenly turned onto Wharton Ave back in my woods.
His father used to have a bunch out on Chew Road along with llamas. Some of those are still there but when his father died, it seemed he moved some of the animals down here a few years ago.
Largo may know more than I do.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

In the 1994 printing of "canoeing the Jersey Pine Barrens' by Robert Parnes he mentions that a ranger reffered to the bridge as Jim George Bridge. However, it could be the author confused Jim George with Jim John (the alternate name for bloody bridge as noted in Guy's newspaper clip).

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006

This is where safety comes first above all things, especially when i used to go swimming in the Pine Barrens Streams and Rivers, the first inclination when you see a swing rope suspended from a tree like the swimming hole on the Oswego from Harrisville to Martha is to grab a hold and go for it.

I myself walk into the Oswego, Wading looking for snags, obstructions, before taking the plunge, of course my old River swimming spots i have not been to in a few years.

Oswego Lake is and always has my favorite venue, Lacey can't wait, nothing like a Weekday when the Beach is basically all to yourself.

Jim