What about the Manahawkin Road?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
We have heard all about the Tuckerton Road. How about the Manahawkin Road?

A few years ago I started a thread about all the roads that no longer reach their namesake. For example, Oak Shade Road in Tabernacle no longer makes it to the old village of Oak Shade which once existed along route 206.

Also in Tabernacle, there is a street called Hawkin Road (or Hawkins Road depending on which side of 206 that you are on). It starts at Skeet Road in Medford and makes a virtual beeline to Tabernacle. Most folks (even the old-timers) assumed that the road was named for a person. However, while researching some old cranberry bog properties in the area I found a deed with the following legal description:

Beginning at a monument at the intersection of the center of the Manahawkin Road and the road leading from Moore’s corner to Flyatt.

This is the current intersection of Hawkin Road and Old Indian Mills Road. Moore’s corner was associated with Hosea Moore’s tavern at Foxchase which is now the home to Seneca High School.

Another:

Beginning at a stone in the southeasterly edge of the private road leading from the Medford and Manahawkin Road to the late Samuel H. Williams.

This was very near the intersection of Hawkin and Skeet Roads in Medford.

Returns for this road exist and confirm that Hawkin Road was indeed named for a destination and not a person.

Maurice Horner in his History of Evesham Township says that there were two main Indian trails that crossed in Marlton. One of them, the Manahawkin trail, went from Cooper’s Point through Marlton to Barnegat Bay. This Manahawkin trail, he claims, became Main Street in Marlton (gee, I thought it had a different name). I am inclined to believe that part of the Old Marlton Pike was along this old Indian trail as well. I have not yet been able to determine its route beyond Tabernacle, though I do have a few clues.

So next time you are in the pines on the old Tuckerton Road, remember that it had a lesser known (and surely lesser traveled) cousin. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

Rich

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As usual, your posts are very interesting. What do you mean "now the HOME to Senica High School?"

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Seneca High School sits on the old Foxchase Tavern site of Hosea Moore. The tennis courts are in the general area of where the tavern once stood. The entrance to the school is actually a public road that once went to Friendship (the saw mill village not the cranberry bog village) and is known as Foxchase Road. I believe Carranza Road was a stage coach road from Vincentown to Tuckerton.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
On the subject of the Tuckerton Road, old deeds from Bass River Township call the "Tuckerton Road" the "old north road to Philadelphia". It makes sense doesn't it? When you are closer to Philadelphia, the road runs to Tuckerton. When you are down by the shore, the road goes to Philadelphia. Clearly people from Tuckerton did not call it the road to Tuckerton!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On the subject of the Tuckerton Road, old deeds from Bass River Township call the "Tuckerton Road" the "old north road to Philadelphia". It makes sense doesn't it? When you are closer to Philadelphia, the road runs to Tuckerton. When you are down by the shore, the road goes to Philadelphia. Clearly people from Tuckerton did not call it the road to Tuckerton!

I see your point.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting subject. I note that, before Gordon's 1833 map, that not many (if any) major roads crossed that wilderness through which the Plains Branch and Papoose Branch flowed. So it was probably after 1815 that it was really formed. Most of the roads other than the Tuckerton Road, predating 1812, went through Mount Holly.

But on Gordon's, there it is...running through Tabernacle and Union Works (near what is now Chatsworth). Could this be Pancoast Road now?