What Did the Pre-European Pinelands Look Like/

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Background: for years I’ve heard conversations and opinions regarding what the Pinelands looked like, what tree species there were, before Europeans came here and messed with it. Most, if not all, of such talks ended with something along the lines of , “well, we can’t really be sure as we lack adequate documentation”.

Recently Karl Anderson sent me a book, a reproduction of Dr. Charles C. Abbott’s “Waste-land Wanderings”. Written in the late 1880’s, it describes his travels, mostly by boat, in the Crosswicks Creek valley near its exit into the Delaware River.

On pages 145 thru 147 Abbott directly quotes from naturalist Peter Kalm’s May 1749 description of the Delaware River below its falls and also a description of a journey by stage from Trenton to New York. These descriptions include mention of tree species, etc.

Unfortunately, Abbott’s book nowhere mentions the source of the Kalm quotations.

Upon reading this it occurred to me that Peter Kalm was traveling this land before the advent of bog iron furnaces. in the Pines This would be a period before significant human impact on the Pinelands.

Peter Kalm collected plant specimens from all over South Jersey and must have crossed the Pines numerous times.

All this leads to the following questions. Did Peter Kalm write descriptions of what he saw when he travelled in the Pinelands forests? In what documents are these descriptions to be found? And most importantly, what did Peter Kalm say? If his description of the forests differs from today, in what way did they?

All of which leads to other questions: did other early naturalists and plant/animal specimen collectors write descriptions of the what they saw in the Pines?

Or am I making some wrong assumptions in the abo ve?

johnny b

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Great questions! I hope one of our contributors has some insight. John McPhee wrote about Atlantic White Cedar stumps that were four feet in diameter and I have read of salvage mining for cedars in swamps that used to provide massive trunks for timber use. So I would assume that pre-Europeans there were very old stands of Cedars as well as Pitch Pines over 100 years old. Without the fire suppression activities we now practice I would think that in general the understory was much more open due to frequent fires which would allow for more sunlight and greater flower production (when it was not burning :) ) Mountain Lions, wolves, and other apex predators were still around as were populations of Elk! Ground water levels would have been significantly higher as the aquifer would be much closer to the surface thereby enlarging swampy areas and making our primary creeks, runs, and rivers significantly larger. Much more fish as well...Basically its all our fault :)

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Forester Silas Little imagined that frequent fires meant there was little underbrush in early Pine Barrens forest, and that travel by horseback or cart could be accomplished through tall stands of old bull pines without need of a trail. The forest canopy was imagined to be tight, which also blocked light to any understory vegetation.

Region capture 4.png

Little 1946: 3​

I have a copy of an early photo taken in in Estell Manor that I was told was that of a stand of ancient pine forest, but I am not at liberty to share that copy. The pines in that stand are much larger and taller than those seen in Little's illustration (above)—and there is no underbrush in that copy. I was told that this stand was cut by Charles "Kingfish" Bryant's father, Kingfish of barbecue fame.

The Bryants lived at Walkers Ford near the Bears Head, and left for West Virginia coal mines when charcoal played out in the Pines. His father was injured in a mine accident and returned to Bears Head as a woodcutter, mostly pulpwood that MacAndrews & Forbes used as paper-backing for wallboard and shingle production. There was quite a stir when the giant pines—reputed "old-growth"—were hauled out by Bryant, who remained silent on their provenance.

While most of the early Pine Barrens cattle grazing occurred in wetland savannah (Demitroff 2007: 124–150), there are a few early accounts of forest grazing too. Sedges and grasses must have been an important understory component in some upland woodlands. Wetland savannah habitat was much more widespread as were pine plains when compared to what remains of them today (Demitroff 2007).

Little, S., 1946: The Effects of Forest Fires on the Stand History of New Jersey’s Pine
Region. Forest Management Paper No. 2, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station.
43 pp.

Demitroff, M., 2007: Pine Barrens Wetlands: Geographical Reflections of South Jersey’s Periglacial Legacy. MS thesis, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 244 pp.

S-M

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo of Mr. Little. Back in late 1979 I pulled off of Route 72 for a call to nature and stood there looking at this sign. I would tend to think it was quite old and most likely part of one of his projects. The photo was developed 2/1980.

OffRoute72_2_80.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Oh.... I can't pass up any chance to bring up my favorite Pinelands citation—Little, Little, and Doolittle!

Region capture 5.png

Silas Little was also a keen observer of spungs and savannahs, and mentored Jack McCormick, the botanist who wrote the ecological inventory for the Pine Barrens and another one for Stockton University. Hydrologist Ed Rhodehamel also worked closely with the Littles.

S-M

Reactions: Teegate

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Gotta weigh back in. I was hoping someone here has access to published materials by the early botanists/naturalists/collectrors - Nutall, Bartrams, et al, who were in the Pines before the advent of the bog Iron furnaces and presumably big-time logging, and who may have written their observations of the Pines and its vegetation. First person accounts of what it was like in the mid-1700's or earlier. AS above, Kalm did that about the Delaware River and Trenton-NY - did he do so about the Pines/ Did any others of his contemporaries?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
PineBarrensAdventurer - No,I haven't. Ive read a little about Pursh but nothing by him. Did read Raffinesque biography but nil on Pines in it, tho very interesting otherwise.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
I mention Pursh because he discovered Curly Grass Fern (Schizae Pusilla) at Quaker Bridge in 1805(?) and was accompanied by a number of botanists at the time. Might be interesting to know of any other plants or commentary he had for the area...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a copy of an early photo taken in in Estell Manor that I was told was that of a stand of ancient pine forest, but I am not at liberty to share that copy. S-M

I just don't know what to say about this statement. I wanted to say something, but then thought, no, I'll just keep quiet. But I did want you to know I was thinking about it. But then, you probably knew somebody would think about it....and wonder.

:)

Last edited:

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
bobpbx,

I am sorry if my earlier post was cryptic. Let me explain this serendipitous record of what appears to be old-growth pine without understory shrubbery as Little (1946) envisioned.

The photo was received from the now-deceased local historian John Madera. He gave me permission to use it in my Pine Barrens presentations, originally providing a copy for the 2003 Geological Association of New Jersey (GANJ) symposium on periglacial features I co-led.

Madera’s grandfather was a gamekeeper at the Atlantic County Game Preserve, and I was told is the namesake of Medary Pond—where he had a cabin. That cabin was thought to have been a cottage associated with the 1881 Jewish sorghum-growing colony of Burbridge Village. The Maderas were associated with the c.1780 Doughtys Tavern in Milmay.

During the Depression, John grew up on a property adjacent to our farm at the head pond on Calf Branch, or Calf's Head of the Manumuskin in the hamlet of Buckhorn. His father was a bridge inspector, who was like everyone else out of work due to the Crash.

His bridge inspection boat can be seen in Figure 12a in Demitroff (2003: 69). This provides a contrasting early “wet” and modern “dry” view of a perfectly round spung known as the “Punch Bowl” on the Tuckahoe stage road, laying between Doughty’s Tavern and the c.1870 Swiss-German hamlet of Buckhorn at Calfs Head where I grew up.

Demitroff M. 2003. A geography of spungs and some attendant hydrological phenomena on the New Jersey Outer Coastal Plain. In Hozik MJ, Mihalasky MJ, (eds.). Periglacial Features of Southern New Jersey. Field Guide and Proceedings, 20th Annual Meeting of the Geological Association of New Jersey, October 10–11, 2003. Pomona, NJ: Richard Stockton College. pp. 51–78.

Here's the Punch Bowl location on the c.1931 aerial photomosaic. The modern c.1817 Tuckahoe Road is to its west. The ancient Tuckahoe Trail can still be seen as a sandy track to its east;

I use this photo, with appropriate attribution, in two presentations: "Our Forest Heritage: Pine-Belt Employment” and “Come Earnest Homeseekers: Ethnic Settlements in the Pines.” I'm sure you have seen it before, remember?

S-M

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you for your informative reply Mark.

Here's the deal with me. I'm always surprised when copies of nature photographs from so long ago are so zealously guarded. For what reason; is there a chance the heirs will make a ton of money off of it? Isn't it better to just let it become part of the public record?

Don't get me wrong--people have a right to do whatever they want...I just think guarding copies of nature photographs from the eyes of others is kind of absurd...especially when the photographer is long gone.

One time a guy took a snip of one of my photos and used it one his website. I was at first disturbed by that, but then I thought; oh hell, why not, it allows others to see it. I only wished he had cited me as the photographer (after all, I do have a smidgen of pride).

I am going to draft something in the near future to post on this forum. It will say something to the effect that anyone can use my photos in any kind of presentation, or school project, or pamphlet, or whatever, as long as they cite me as the photographer. If they use it in a commercial venture, I'm going to ask them to consider throwing me a couple bucks for doing that if they make more than $10,000 from it (or something like that), but that I'm not going to sue them over it (just let their conscience drive that decision).

Life is way too short for this kind of secrecy.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
bobpbx,

I'm all for open use of photos, and work hard to get my old documents reprinted. Still, some do not share my views and so I have to keep promises to honor their wishes. I once displayed a photo in presentation that belonged to a blog member. It had source citation, but still he was hot! Then I reminded him that he had given me permission several years earlier to use the image in an email conversation, then all was well.

Early on I had archival material in my collection copied through the Atlantic County Library destined for distribution to two branches (Mays Landing, Buena High School), and concurrently shared the same with various historical societies. One stamped their logo on every page and made its copying difficult to even me—the donor, so I rarely give anything to their collection anymore. Stockton's Bjork Library is the latest beneficiary, via the South Jersey Culture and History Center.

For example, Carl Farrell, Tom Kinsella, and I recently helped access the Rebecca Estell Bougeois collection to Bjork (see below cover, frontispiece, pp. 12, 13).

We took the donor on a tour of the Proud American, the Estell Manor Park, the Estellville Church & Cemetery, the Steelman Ordinary, Steelman's Shipyard Landing, and the Estell Manor House. It is surprising how many documents are still out there today in private hands.

Steelman Ordinary.jpg

If others are looking for a home for rare South Jersey maps, documents, books, ephemera, etc., please contact the South Jersey Cultural & History Center at Stockton University. They will see that the material will be conserved and protected for all to use and enjoy.

S-M

Reactions: bobpbx

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Thank you 46er,

I didn’t even want to open that can of worms. The images I excerpted (Little 1946; et al. 1967) are government documents that are in the public domain.

The old-growth pine-stand photo is over 100-years-old, so it too would no longer be subject to copyright restriction.

I took the photo at the Steelman's ordinary.