what is must-see pine barrens?

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
ok i may be have to be a tour guide for my pops-he's never been,and wants to see the pine barrens.i'm pretty familiar with the forest and wildlife but could probably use some suggestions for things to do,places to eat,historical oddities,etc. that are unique to the pines.
i could probably come up with a fun time for us on my own but figured someone here could offer some good suggestions?thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can take him to the Pic in Atsion to eat, or Lucilles in Warren Grove. It all depends on the type of place you think he would like, and what he prefers to eat.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ok i may be have to be a tour guide for my pops-he's never been,and wants to see the pine barrens.i'm pretty familiar with the forest and wildlife but could probably use some suggestions for things to do,places to eat,historical oddities,etc. that are unique to the pines.
i could probably come up with a fun time for us on my own but figured someone here could offer some good suggestions?thanks

Has he been to Batsto and Well's Mills and Jakes Branch? All of them have good interpretive centers PLUS the Pinelands in the backyard. If he squints to the south from the roof observatory at Jakes Branch he can see the Forked River Mountains in the distance. At Well's Mill's take him for a walk down along the lake into the cedar swamp--he'll get a good idea of the habitat that way. It will also keep him out of this heat.

After that, maybe a ride down 539 through Warren Grove to the Bombing Range Road. Get out and stretch your legs to see the plains area. A ride down 563 past the cranberry bogs is always nice too.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
The Harrisville ruins are impressive and Hampton Furnace is one of my favorite places as well. Batsto is also a good place to walk around, in a non-woodsy environment and get a lot of history. Plus, I hear one of the ladies that works in the Batsto office is super nice...:D :D

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Whitesbog village has a self guided driving tour. I was out there today and stayed in the truck with the A/C on and if I saw anything interesting I would stop and jump out to investigate. I agree with gipsie about the nice lady at Batsto! BTW Terry, I was out there until after 3:00 yesterday!