What is this area

Lloyd Taylor

Oct 16, 2012
Waretown, NJ
I was running back here, just off the Tuckerton RR and I came upon a marked trail with 4"x4" posts with numbers on them and marked with red blazes. Also two benches were put along the trail. I didn't run the entire trail but did see up to number 20. It looked like an Eagle Scout type of project. Has anybody seen this? Here is map location and a picture of one of the benches.
photo-8.JPG

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.82643482372113&lng=-74.24822330474854&z=15&type=h&gpx=

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Ben, I am not sure if the FRMC built the trail. The trail has been around awhile. I am pretty sure the benches are a Eagle Scout project that was done for the FRMC. Bob will know way more about it than I do.

Reactions: Lloyd Taylor

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Chris and Guy are correct. It is not really a trail per se...it is a sand road made into a wilderness trail that winds around the wilderness area bounded by the Middle Branch of the Forked River. There is a kiosk at Wells Mills that provides information and you can usually pick up a brochure that will interpret what you are looking at (plants, habitat type), at each of the stations identified with numbered posts. The trail was named after Elizabeth Morgan, who was an avid explorer, a founding member of the Forked River Mountain Coalition, and a great proponent of Forked River Mountain wilderness protection.