what is this from

what_is_this_002.jpg

My son Bubby found this yesterday . We were in a trail off of Iron Pipe rd.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
it does not look fossilized. And There do not appear to be any serrations....I am going right to Jersey Devil. Cool find, your son seems to be a fine pines explorer, good eye.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I used to find shark teeth all the time when I was a park ranger in Monmouth county. There were tons in this one section of a small neglected stream. I will find some of them and compare and report back soon. I'm pretty sure that is what it is (if not the Jersey Devil)

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Definitely a sharks tooth. The Shark River in Shark River County Park a known spot to find them, school groups go there a lot. We collected many on a trip to Venice Beach in Florida, another well known spot. They don't have to be black to be fossils.

This link might help identify it further;

http://www.geocities.com/fossofnj/

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It seems unusual at the root though, perhaps very worn down? But it really does look like a shark's tooth otherwise. Interesting!
I am sure to spend time looking around for that online.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I really can't help you. However, I would hope you would keep encouraging your son to continue to look around when he walks in the pines. Finds like his come from doing just that, and hopefully he will continue to become better at it. He obviously has the skills and just needs to continue practicing. I see only good things coming from him in this regard. Well done!

Guy

I really can't help you. However, I would hope you would keep encouraging your son to continue to look around when he walks in the pines. Finds like his come from doing just that, and hopefully he will continue to become better at it. He obviously has the skills and just needs to continue practicing. I see only good things coming from him in this regard. Well done!

Guy

thanks

he is really something else. he's found alot of interesting things lately. He has also taken alot of interest in taking pictures now too. I will say he has been taking some good ones too.He wants his own camera for Christmas this year.