What is this?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

First .... yesterday Jessica and myself were driving deep into Wharton exploring as far as my car would take us East of Tuckerton Road and North of Hawkins Bridge and decided to stop here.

IMG_0299a.jpg

So today we entered off of Tuckerton Road heading back in the same direction we were coming from yesterday. We wanted to explore an upland area looking for Morning Glory and visiting a few spungs and a savannah. We parked and walked almost a mile and arrived at the savannah. We had to push through the edges of it to get a view.

IMG_0302a.jpg

Along the edge of the savannah right where we entered we noticed this..

IMG_1218a.jpg

Closer look.

IMG_1213a.jpg

IMG_1214a.jpg

This was interesting. Very sharp steel points with holes on the other side making it some sort of punch or crimper.

IMG_1216a.jpg

IMG_1217a.jpg

Someone is most likely doing some sort of study and keeps the tools they need along the tree line. I scanned the edges all along the savannah from our view point and did not see one in the distance. I am betting there is another one with a different number at a savannah nearby.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a better and larger view. Written on it is the word NastroJarna which appears to be a Taiwan injection mold company. I did not open the packet that was there but my wife is thinking it held more of the metal pointy things. She could be right but I did not want to disturb it.

Attachments

• IMG_1215a.jpg
    IMG_1215a.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 199

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Could be. Unfortunately, it appears if so the trap is not operating.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
They probably put the functional part of the trap out for limited and measured times and leave the rest until the study is over. I don't know what the weird spiky tongs are though.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Looks like a point of navigation to me and the unique pattern on the punch is used on a card to show proof you made contact with that point. Just a guess on my part.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So you are saying either the person who was doing the research had to use the punch to prove they were there, or maybe someone doing some sort of game or race had to do this also? Sounds interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks to be it. Now to find out what was going on. It could also be as I said a research test and the person had to punch to prove they were there. It could be used in many ways actually.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bet there is something in that pouch. We will be going back.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Interesting just how many activities occur in the woods.
Now a question. Any type of organized activity taking place on State land must have a permit, I'm wondering if these folks have one or if this activity is known to the current Wharton superintendent? Look at what happened to geocaching. It would appear this sport is bringing folks into "sensitive" areas. Just saying.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For any of you using Facebook, check out the Delaware Valley Orienteering Association page. They hold orienteering events in the pines and even meet at the Ranger Station. Can't be too far under the radar.
oriCapture.JPG

Reactions: Sue Gremlin